Sailfin got stuck in power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MANCUNIA13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got in from work to find that my sailfin was not swimming about like normal, after some time looking for her I noticed she was stuck on the power head. I turned it off an she just floated to bottom, she isn't dead but she doesn't look good, does anyone know if she'll make a full recovery or is it best to cut my losses an get her out, also I don't have another tank to put her in.

I doubt it. Sorry to hear this. I have read about quite a few accounts of Zebrasoma Tangs getting stung in power heads. Argument is made that if they are strong, it wouldn't happen. But it seems to occur even in the case of healthy fish. I had a Hippo Tang get stuck in a power head intake. Just terrible to see.

Maybe you can get one of those sponge filter attahments for the powerhead to prevent such a strong suction from a single point in the future.

Thanks, she doesn't look we'll at all, she was 1 of my liveliest fish.

Thanks, she doesn't look we'll at all, she was 1 of my liveliest fish.

How big is this fish? Also what size/type powerhead.

I mostly doubt cases like this simply because i witness fish on and about powerhead all the time, even smaller and weaker fish compared to a muscular tang and never do they become stuck or sucked to the powerhead.

Its highly probable the fish was injured or weakened through illness before hand. Im not saying that this is the case here im just saying that its the most probable scenario.

Im interested to hear what size the fish was and the pump in question.

It's a twin power head not quite sure on exact power flow, the sail fin is about 2" long don't think she was ill like I said the liveliest fish in the tank, so do you think she'll make it

My sunshine peacock had a thing for my power head. He would always go by it get sucked to the intake, break loose then do it all over again. Needless to say I put a sponge over the intake and haven't had any problems. Think I paid like 2 bucks or so for the sponge. I just had to do a little trimming to get it to fit.

Oh, a 2" sailfin. He's just a little guy. At that size, they are even more susceptible to current and strong force. That sucks.

Please let us know if he makes a recovery. Always a chance, never know.

Will do, hope so he does anyway he's just at bottom of tank on his side then goes upright then bk onto his side.

It's a twin power head not quite sure on exact power flow, the sail fin is about 2" long don't think she was ill like I said the liveliest fish in the tank, so do you think she'll make it

So what is wrong with the fish? Any cuts or external damage, pics would help? Being stuck to a powerhead is not in itself going to kill a fish unless for long periods.

No outside damage would hint at an internal problem (ie. illness of some nature.) a good pic could tell a thousand words.

No cuts or anything just looks out of it if you know wot I mean, can't put pic on this msg so ill start new thread named poorly tang by power head,

Same thing happened to mine a few months ago.(with a smaller sailfin) Woke up in the am to find it stuck on the powerhead and it didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom