Sailfin Tang Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petalas82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a sailfin tang that his top fin is getting missed up. I thought it was my 2 4 strip damsels so I took them back and now it seems that his fin is getting worse. I have 2 clown and 1 6 line Wrasse.

Before
photo1kos.jpg

And Now
photo2efy.jpg

Crap!! Well I just got rid of 2 of my 4 strip damsels because people said that was the problem. So I have a sailfin Tang and 2 clowns, so what cool fish goes with these. I read different things all the time and I get different things.

Damsels usually do become aggressive too. The only ones that i would say would be safe would be the reef chromis. I have only seen them pick on eachother. Naturally they are a schooling fish but i currently have 2 left out of 5, but my buddy has 10 in his tank with no problems. You could get firefish, royal gramma, a flasher wrasse which should be introduced before any fish that could be aggressive since they are very peaceful. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head. What size tank do you have?

Petalas82 said:
Great thanks nightryder1405, my tank is a 75gal

6-lines can be evil but ive also seen a pair of clowns do the same damage to a tang. I would watch their behavior closely.

A blenny or goby would be a good addition if you wanna look at them. Starry blennies are cool fish, many others also.

I'm sorry your tang got beat up :(. Unfortunately, they need bigger tanks too so you might have to give him away as well and start over with stocking. I especially like midas blennies! One would be a great addition :).

Your tang will be fine in the 75 just get him a new home when he out-grows the tank. I would get rid of your six line wrasse and put in a few green chromis and maybe your favorite goby. Good luck catching the six line though, they are sooo quick!

Six lines are definitely fast so it makes it easier for them to pick on other fish I would add a coral beauty I have one with my sailfin and have no problems

6-lines can be evil but ive also seen a pair of clowns do the same damage to a tang. I would watch their behavior closely.

A blenny or goby would be a good addition if you wanna look at them. Starry blennies are cool fish, many others also.

Yes! Starry blennie are so cool. Love mine. He swims all around real fast, then chills out on a rock, and they get to be a decent size; mines about 4 1/2-5" right now. And he's peaceful. I second the carpenter wrasse, gorgeous fish!! And very peaceful.

Your tang will be fine in the 75 just get him a new home when he out-grows the tank. I would get rid of your six line wrasse and put in a few green chromis and maybe your favorite goby. Good luck catching the six line though, they are sooo quick!

Sail Fins are not fine in a 75. Everyone says they are going to upgrade and or find them a new home when they get bigger, but it never happens. Thats all Im going to say on the subject,:banghead:

The male sailfin tends to grow larger then the female hence needing more room but the female or male as a juvenile can be kept in a 75 but will require more space as it gets older and I must admit he is right a lot of people say they will upgrade when their fish out grows their tank but honestly speaking how many people will upgrade a tank to accommodate just one fish?

Well I am saying that the sailfin is fine in the 75 assuming that the owner would upgrade the tank later on to accommodate the fish. There is nothing we can do if the owner does not find a better means of living for the fish in its adult stage. I personally love upgrading systems so putting my fish in a bigger better home is no problem.

Sail Fins are not fine in a 75. Everyone says they are going to upgrade and or find them a new home when they get bigger, but it never happens. Thats all Im going to say on the subject,:banghead:

Agreed. Your sail fin doesn't have enough room. Even when small he needs swimming space. We say this over and over and many just ignore the advice, so it's your tank. I too have made my only comment.

Back
Top Bottom