Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

salifert calcium test kits

Anyone out there that uses Salifert Calcium test kits I would like to know what your normal reading is using reef crystals on a new batch. I am geting a reading of about 350 and I was wondering if that was normal. Also I would like to know when you stop adding drops. Do you keep adding them until the water completely turns blue or just when it first starts turning blue ? When I test for calcium it slowly turns blue at the top and as you keep adding drop it turns blue completely through. I was just wondering when I should take my reading.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use the API test for calcium with ReefCrystals I usually stop adding drops when I see the sudden color change even though it is not a total color change. Usually I get a reading with a fresh batch of about 360 since it adds up by 20 for each drop I add. However I hear the Salifert test kits are the kits to have and the favorite test kits on this site.

are you shaking the test tube after every drop??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
With the Salifert kits, you add a drop and shake. I add the 1st 3/4 of the syringe pretty fast then slow down when I'm getting close to where I think I should be. Keep adding the drops until it stays blue. You may add a drop and it will start to turn, but when you shake it, it turns pink again.

I don't use RC, but from all I read about the problems lately with it, 350-360 seems about right. Check the mag. There have been issues with the mag being so low that people where sending in samples to them and they were getting full buckets in return. There is a huge discussion on ReefCentral about it here.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
With the Salifert kits, you add a drop and shake. I add the 1st 3/4 of the syringe pretty fast then slow down when I'm getting close to where I think I should be. Keep adding the drops until it stays blue. You may add a drop and it will start to turn, but when you shake it, it turns pink again.

I don't use RC, but from all I read about the problems lately with it, 350-360 seems about right. Check the mag. There have been issues with the mag being so low that people where sending in samples to them and they were getting full buckets in return. There is a huge discussion on ReefCentral about it here.
Thanks for the link cccapt - lots o' reading there. I had heard about some "low" readings with RC, but not in the low 300 range. Yowsa. Made me go out and check my batch in the garage and it came in as it has for the last year and a half... 360ppm at 1.024. Although I'm a little nervous about the bucket I bought this summer that I haven't opened yet. Guess that's just a good reminder to test your source SW when starting a new bucket.

But back to the original question... Josh, what I consider "normal" for RC is 360ppm at 1.024 SG, alkalinity about 8-9 dkH, and magnesium about 1140-1180 ppm. That's mixed using DI water. Sooo... I'd say your numbers aren't off at all.

As others have mentioned, sounds like you're not shaking the test tube after the last few drops if you're seeing a "layering" of colors. Using the Salifert test kit, I usually see the shift from pink to purple. It then usually only takes one more drop to make it turn blue completely, and that's where I call it quits.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I am using RC and also getting about 360 Ca on my PWC mix. I supplement with TurboCA. I also noticed that Mg appeard a bit low (1050 -1125), but probably balanced for the lower Ca reading.

With the Salifert test you need to swirl the container after each drop. I dump most of the syringe quickly, like Kurt, till I get close to where I know it will end up. Then I add a drop and swirl. When the color start to change I slow down. When the color turns a pale blue and stays I add 1 more drop and use that reading.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Salifert is what I use as well. I would say that is normal for RC. I use Oceanic or Red Sea Pro since they have higher Ca numbers.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use the Salifert test as well, and with the RC I get the same numbers. Plus, like cmor1701d; when the color turns light blue I add one more drop and use that reading.
I have found adding more drops doesn't change the color any more.

Tags
calcium, fert, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com