Salinity change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would my salinity drop during the cycle???? when i first had the tank setup it was around 1.021 the next day it was 1.025 when i started the cycle it droped back down to 1.021. Should i wait out for a while before making any adjustment??

Will not change like that unless you change it. Generally speaking it will slowly increase if you do not top off the water. I am guessing the 1.025 reading was a bad reading. I would make no adjustments until you are sure of the reading. Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer?

agree with brenden, on the other hand, there is a problem with ur sainity shift.It went up a lot in just 1 day. Do u mix ur salt in the tank? or do u put ur water in the tank right after mixing? cuz either way will not do u anygood, try keep ur salt mixing 1 week before u do water change from now so at least u won't get a huge sainity jump once a while.
The proper way should be mix the salt and leave it heat up a bit to help on the salt disolving then leave it 1 or 2 weeks before using.

Well i let it sit a week in the new tank before i added the LR and i think its at 1.021 and that it was a bad reading too. i use a hydrometer. I dont understand how refractometers work.

What are you using to test the SG? A swing arm, a hydrometer or a refractometer?
Some swing arms can yield wildy different results from test to test.

Refractometers are easy. Just add a few drops of water and look in it. (after you calibrate) I have never had a problem with letting my water mix for 2 days prior to use. oyf709: Why do you suggest 1-2 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom