Salinity Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shattrd3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all so I'm completely new to saltwater tanks and I've been cycling my 5 gallon for about 3 weeks everything is at 0 and I was going to introduce coraline algae so it would spread to my dry rocks. Now the question is my salinity is pretty high 1.028 how do i lower this? just a water change? Because if so I've done this, should I add less salt? I also bough a 10 gallon tank once again 3 weeks ago from a guy that has a fiji rock with feather dusters that also has a higher salinity 1.031. What do I do? I know that the good number is between 1.024-1.026 and I'm above that so what are my options?
Thank you

Remove small amounts of saltwater and replace with Ro/Di water. To raise salinity top off with saltwater.

as to bring down salinity small wc will do that just be sure to use ro water with no salt
since its only 5 gal start with maybe a 1/2 gal and go from there just take it slow not to shock your tank inhabitants

Now when I do the water change am I doing this little by little every week or every other day what are you guys thinking?

in other words ..... take a cup of water out of your tank and replace it with a cup of rodi water with no salt it will help bring down salinity just do it slowly

we only can reply to what we read not read minds lol we understood you
just tried to explain as easy as we can

in other words ..... take a cup of water out of your tank and replace it with a cup of rodi water with no salt it will help bring down salinity just do it slowly

we only can reply to what we read not read minds lol we understood you
just tried to explain as easy as we can
You can do this at one time. After that top off with ro/di (filtered) water and not with a salt mix.

Back
Top Bottom