Salinity vs Skimmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone knows does changing the salinity disrupt my Remora from producing skimmate? I am slowly lowering my salinity from 1.029 to 1.025, and since then, I don't have any skimmate collected.

Also, does changing the type of salt affect the skimmer as well. How does you guys transit from one type of salt to the other? I used IO last time and still have some IO left and I am transiting to Tropic Marvin. What I did is that I mixed one 5 gallons of IO and one 5 gallons of Tropic Marvin. I will alternate the bucket for water changes until eventually the IO salt is used up and then I will be 100% on Tropic marvin. In my opinion, this will allow my 46g tank to slowly acclimate to the new salt. Is this sound practice?

Anyone knows does changing the salinity disrupt my Remora from producing skimmate? I am slowly lowering my salinity from 1.029 to 1.025, and since then, I don't have any skimmate collected

Yes it will disrupt the production, but shouldn't halt it, depending on how often you are changing the water. You are lowering the surface tension of the water so each time you add FW for SW you will disrupt the skimmer for a short period of time.

When I changed salts, I simply did smaller waterchanges more often with the new salt for about a month, then went back to the regular schedule. There is a possibility the new salt may slightly effect skimmer output, but it would be a slight change.

Back
Top Bottom