Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Salinity Wonít Stay The Same

Iíve have been trying to lower my salinity for a little over 2 months. For the first year of my tank, I used pre mixed salt water from my LFS. The salinity was way to high so I bought an Rodi machine to try and fix the salinity levels. I have only been putting RODI water in the tank which temporary helps the levels down to a normal level right after my water change. But after a week, the levels go up back to way over the top. How is this possible since iím not using salt water? Could it be my bucket since I use it to remove water from the tank too?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Evaporation. Water evaporates and the salt is left behind.
It takes daily addition of water to replace what evaporated to keep salinity stable. This is why many employ automatic top offs to their systems to keep from rising.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Evaporation. Water evaporates and the salt is left behind.
It takes daily addition of water to replace what evaporated to keep salinity stable. This is why many employ automatic top offs to their systems to keep from rising.

How much water would I need to add each day to avoid a change in my salinity for a 37 gallon tank.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That varies from system to system and time of year.
I had a 55 that would have a gallon of water evaporate every day.
Now Iím running a 125 that does under that in a day during non winter months.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What is your salinity reading and how are you reading it [what are you using? ]hydrometer, refractometer or digital...
I'll guess a hydrometer...
Salt can not increase with out addition. Some increase is noted if you let enough evap happen without topping off ,but in a 37 you would need to let more then you should evap for it to be a serious issue IMO.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
What is your salinity reading and how are you reading it [what are you using? ]hydrometer, refractometer or digital...

I'll guess a hydrometer...

Salt can not increase with out addition. Some increase is noted if you let enough evap happen without topping off ,but in a 37 you would need to let more then you should evap for it to be a serious issue IMO.

Using a refractometer. Right now before a water change my salinity is 1.031. Last week after my water change, it was around 1.028. Iíve never topped off my system in the year and 1/4 that itís been running. Since I do weekly water changes, I would just add enough so it would get up to the right spot so my protein skimmer could run properly.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Then it does sound like evap is what is causing your high levels . How low does the water go from water change to water change ? Do you remove water during your water changes? How much do you take out and add back? You only add back Ro no salt ?
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Then it does sound like evap is what is causing your high levels . How low does the water go from water change to water change ? Do you remove water during your water changes? How much do you take out and add back? You only add back Ro no salt ?

Every weekend I do a water change. So every week so time between Fri Night-Sunday itís getting done. I take out 4-5 gallons and then add around 6 gallons of RODI water with no salt.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just sounds like the salinity is building up because it is being replaced by salt water rather than ro/di. It is probably barely noticeable due to very low evaporation. Sounds like a dream...
Old 06-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #10

You can have partial freshwater in your water change, or just remove leftover water

Tags
salinity

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com