Salinty question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What would be an affect on your fish if the salinity was too low or high? and how long would it take to notice

BHead707 said:
What would be an affect on your fish if the salinity was too low or high? and how long would it take to notice

Fish can tolerate quite a varied range of salinity, as long as they are acclimated to different levels of salinity, slowly. This is part of the reason for drip acclimating new stock. This changes the levels that the fish is in, slowly.
I've seem a few pet stores that run their holding tanks at 1.019, with the belief that this will inhibit ich.
While most reefers run at 1.025, or close to it, plus or minus.
And many people treat ich by dropping to 1.009, for awhile to kill off the parasite, while the fish is fine.
I don't know of any adverse effects from running at different salinities, for fish. Corals on the other hand, require 1.023 or above. The salinity on the reef is slightly higher than in the open ocean.

Flreefer said:
Fish can tolerate quite a varied range of salinity, as long as they are acclimated to different levels of salinity, slowly. This is part of the reason for drip acclimating new stock. This changes the levels that the fish is in, slowly.
I've seem a few pet stores that run their holding tanks at 1.019, with the belief that this will inhibit ich.
While most reefers run at 1.025, or close to it, plus or minus.
And many people treat ich by dropping to 1.009, for awhile to kill off the parasite, while the fish is fine.
I don't know of any adverse effects from running at different salinities, for fish. Corals on the other hand, require 1.023 or above. The salinity on the reef is slightly higher than in the open ocean.

+1 on that

The higher salinity the more pressure on the fishes outside. That in turn makes it harder for them to breathe . Lower salinity does just the opposite .

I haven't seen any studies done on long term effects of high salinity, but there have been studies done showing fish exposed to long term (5 yrs+) low salinity (1.020) end up dying from kidney failure.

Back
Top Bottom