Sally Light Foot and Peppermint Shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added a Sally Light Foot and Peppermint shrimp to my tank on Friday. I haven't seen the PPmint shrimp since adding him. Are they hiders or should I assume I sent him to his death? Would my pistol shrimp kill him? The pistol was a hitchhiker - didn't buy him.

This morning I came down and my CC stars were piled on my Sally Light foot. Pulled them off to find the Sally Light Foot in pieces like they were eating a crab leg dinner at Red Lobster. I don't think they killed her as they are so slow. I think she either died a natural death or was probably killed by someone else. What do you think?

D

I would be leary of any shrimp or inverts with a coral beauty. They are a omnivores. Not syaing thats what happened, but from your tag line, thats a pretty good candidate. Also, you don't give any info on acclimation. Shrimp can be a very tough invert to acclimate. Don't know about the crab, never had one. Other things to consider are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Inverts are typically not very tolerant of rapid change or high ammonia/nitrite levels.

GL!

My peppermint shrimp hid for a long time before coming out. Now they hang under the rocks, but for at least a week we didn't see them.

My blood shrimp still hides after years. I have a Lobster and crab and shrimp that have lived together for several years. I know the Choc. chip star did not kill him. As for the Coral Beauty, I doubt it but you never know. Maybe?

Thanks for the info. I acclimated him correctly floating his bag initially and then a slow drip acclimation. Maybe he is just in hiding till he feels more comfortable. We'll see.

Thanks
D

Pepermint shrimp are notorius hiders. And one alone? You might see him once a month at feeding time. Maybe a few more?

My PPmint shrimp has decided he WILL be part of my community and comes out every night at feeding time. He is so much fun to watch. It looks like he is dancing. My Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty act like they want to be cleaned by him. They run to him and turn around and try to back into him. He runs away. Will he clean or do I need a cleaner for that?

D

Is a 55 gallon too small for a pair of cleaners? My LFS has some in their display tank and they are HUGE!

Thanks
D

Back
Top Bottom