Sally Lightfoot Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all,

I wanted to ask you guys if Sally Lightfoot crabs are safe to keep in a reef tank?

I know LiveAquaria lists them as reef safe, but the LFS told them they are great when small but when full grown they will kill shrimp and fish.

the 2 shrimp I have are Pretty big, especially the Cleaner Shrimp.

I like sally light foot's because they eat huge amount of algae, and are realy neet to watch.

But I don't want to loose anything that Lives in my tank now.

I have had 3 sally light foots in the past before going to a reef system, and never had any problems with them, other then they all died after about a month. But None of them were full grown to my knowledge, they were all medium size.

Thanks,

-TheChad

They should live longer than a month. I`ve had a few in my reef tank with no problem. But as the statement goes No two crabs are the same.

They are reef safe for a few months, until they become sexually mature and NEED lots of food (meaty food, not just algae) to survive. I'd not get one, but like Melosu said, they are all different, as is with most things we buy!

An article I read before said that they can rip apart anemones just to get their gut contents out, catch and kill fish, eat other shrimp, etc. but not until they undergo this period of sexual maturity.

I don't even know if their is a way to answer this, but how do you know when the crabs reach sexual maturity? I've had my sally light foot for like 3 months now, he a decent size, and have had no problems with any fish,invert, or coral. I always though he was just a peaceful crab, but maybe he is not mature enough yet to do damage..

I dont know how old they can get but both that I had lived about 1 1/2 yrs and they never did any damage. I have a spiney Lobster that is 7 yrs old. I just dont know age limits of these inverts.

melosu58 said:
I dont know how old they can get but both that I had lived about 1 1/2 yrs and they never did any damage. I have a spiney Lobster that is 7 yrs old. I just dont know age limits of these inverts.

How's that lobster working for you?

The LFS told me the Reef Lobster I wanted to get would cause LR to become unstable as they like to burrow into the LR.

-TheChad

If you want it as a janitor then he`s a good choice I have not had any problems in the seven yrs I`ve had him. If you want to see him forget it. I`ve seen him about 5 times in 7 yrs. Mine does not burrow but just hides behind rock. He`s out at nite time I`m sure.

From what I've read, you'll know it reached that age by it's actions, likely after several months... It'll become more agressive, erratic maybe, more risque in actions.

Back
Top Bottom