Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good idea! Since I have no experience with this just yet, tell me what you think. I thought I could just have the return lines end under the water level of the tank in the basement. Is that what you had before and had the bubble problem? my 150 tank has only 2 overflows with a 1200 GPH max draining out in two 1" pvc pipes. How many GPH are you draining and what size pipes are you using? Is it loud upstairs? Loud in the basement? Any and all info is appreciated since I will be dry walling the wall downstairs and i'd like to get it right the first time.

louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
well my set up is on the weird side for sure but a can never leave things be always trying something new but this is what i use as of now !! 90gal reef with a 55 gal fuge and a 30 gal sump !! the 90 came with a wet dry which i left in place with out the bio balls ! the over flow runs from the display into the wet/dry and then down into the basement via a 1" 1/4 line (had made out of pvc a return nozzle which led to alot of salt creep and splashing so i came up with the 4" pvc to contain the splash and withthe holes around the bottom so if anything only little bubble come out not enough to pop and really cause a big mess ) as for my return pumps in the basement i have a mag drive 24 (2400 gph)which is split to run the skimmer i made and to push water to the main floor !! when the water reachs the main floor i have it running into a quiteone 6000 (1500 gph)pump booster pump then to my main tank !! also in the wet/dry as the water trickles thru (the loudest issue i have ) i put a mag drive 9.5 (950 gph) to return water back into the maintank ! so basically half run down stairs and half is pumped back into the main tank !! as for the returns back up stairs i used 3/4" return line !! inside the 90 i also use 3 maxijet 1200 (900 gph) which are on a timer on off every 15 min and a via aqua 4900 (1321 gph) ! when i do this again i would go with prob a mag 36 !! it takes alot of ummmmf to move water up 14 feet or so !! still not happy with the amount of water flow per say but my guess is about 800 gph dropping down stairs !! the skimmer uses about 1200 gph so that 2700 gph pumping up via two pumps @ 14' head drops it down to mabe 800 !! the reason i thinking down to 800 is the cpr over flow on the 55 gallon fuge is about maxed out and its rated for 800 gph!! take alot more than i ever thought !! hope this helps and nottttt to winded hehehe

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
WOW thanks.

louis is offline   Reply With Quote

cree, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com