Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Salt levels

I am new to SW aquariums. I am planning on setting up a FOWLR aquarium.

One thing I dont understand is salt mix?

I understand you have to buy the right amount for your tank e.g. 10kg for 500L of water in the tank......

a) What do you do if your tank is 625L? and
b) Does this include the sump water capacity aswell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jon

JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`m only familiar with Gallons so I cant help much on the Kg thing. It should have directions on the pail or bag though.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Your talking (in non-metric terms) a 22 lb bag of salt that will make 132 gal of saltwater. That doesn't really seem like enough salt for that quantity of water.
Anyway, buy a big bag or bucket. It will have general guidelines for how much salt to add. Add a little less then what's recommended then test the salinity of the water with a refractometer or a hydrometer, which is less accurate than a refractometer. You want your saltwater to be about 35 ppt or 1.026 SG. You MUST test the salinity (or Specific Gravity). You can't just add salt and hope you got it right.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, level, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com