Salt Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAVE853

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently use the coral life salt mix and I feel like it does a good job. I was wondering everyones opinion on salt mixes...

Whatever works I guess. I went on price point and reputation with Instant Ocean but I've heard people say they think others mimic the ocean better - I can't remember if it was Corallife or Red Sea though. Any of those big 3 should be just fine. I think it's just personal preference, availability and price...

It depends on what you need from it. If you just have fish then almost anything will work. If you have a reef there are two methods. One mimics natural seawater, the other has additional supplementation to keep levels high enough in our closed systems. I like to have supplemental levels since in our closed systems certain things can be used up quickly and then you have to supplement. I would rather have enough to last the week.

I use Tropic Marin, regular not pro-reef. Apparently the pro-reef was designed for higher end systems with calcium reactors or automatic dosers and therefore has less Ca, Alk, etc. Even they say they should have switched the names. I like the Tropic Marin because it is all pharmaceutical grade ingredients and is very consistant from batch to batch.

Back
Top Bottom