Salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejordan73

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I'm thinking about making my own salt mix and wanted some opinions on which is the best???

Thanks

I did some research and found that I could by the salt mix from my local aquarium store. The bag of salt mix would cost me about $40 for a 200 gallon mix. All I would need to do is extract water from my RO unit into a 50 gallon container and mix the salt there.

I actually got the idea from the tech from my aquarium store. It would actually come out cheaper than buying it from the store and I wouldn't have to transport all that water when I do a water change. It seems like a good idea and I have all the equipment to do it.

I heard that the water is cleaner and provides more beneficial trace elements that regular salt water from the store.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I would buy the salt mix and add that to the RO from my house.

Rejordan73 said:
Yes, I would buy the salt mix and add that to the RO from my house.

Personally, I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. If you don't have/plan to keep coals then you can use their 'normal' salt, its a little cheaper.

Agreed on the brand, but if youve never done it before i suggest read up on it as much as you can before doing so,...i us a 30 gallon trash can a heater and an extra power head i have put my RO water in the can turn on the heater and power head and slowly mix in the salt also using something to stir the water as well,..and once its all mixed leave in whatever container your using for atleast 24 hours before making the change...during that time is also a good time to add any trace elements you add for corals i.e. calcium iodide etc..if you have corals...and be sure to have testers for ph and salinity cause youll wanna match it as close as possible to your current water.....wow reading all this seems like alot...but after a few times either youll get the hang of it or youll say ta heck with it and continue buying premixed water..lol...

Back
Top Bottom