Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Instant Ocean is perfectly fine to use. This is what Randy Holmes-Farley, author of countless reef chemisty articles, has to say about his salt choice....
This is in relation to a reef aquarium right? Interesting information, I would like to read the article first hand on what else he has running on his tank. It might be a great choice for him if he has reactors and other things to boost the levels he needs, but it may not be a great choice for someone like me who has no reactors and relies heavily on all my trace elements coming in with PWC's. Again, just shooting in the dark as I have no idea, just a thought.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
This is in relation to a reef aquarium right? Interesting information, I would like to read the article first hand on what else he has running on his tank. It might be a great choice for him if he has reactors and other things to boost the levels he needs, but it may not be a great choice for someone like me who has no reactors and relies heavily on all my trace elements coming in with PWC's. Again, just shooting in the dark as I have no idea, just a thought.
I'm pretty sure he doses 2-part to keep up with Cal and Alk. At this point for me, no matter what saltmix I use, PWC alone are not enough to keep up with replenishing Cal, Alk, Mg. I do 20-25gal pwc a week on my 180-gallon tank which I estimate has 165gallons of water total.
If I used IO saltmix instead of what I currently use, ESV B-Ionic, I would just have to up my dosing of Cal,Alk,Mg.

Sooooo yes you are right Jimbo. If you are able to rely only on PWC at this point, then having a saltmix with higher Cal,Alk,Mg would be beneficial, IMO.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Larry, does Randy have any pictures/website of his tank that you know about? I know he is a wealth of reefing knowledge, especially on the chemistry side, and extremely smart Harvard grad etc etc etc etc.
I'd like to see his reefing work, I was looking on RC the other day and couldn't really find anything.
Randy posted a FTS a few months ago, but I can't find it. Here are a few older pics.
Who is Randy and what is the Reef Chemistry Forum? - Reef Central Online Community

Quote:
If you have the need to dose, you will have the need no matter what salt you use. For example, if you use IO it has a ca level of around 400. If you keep your tank at 420 calcium and do a 20% water change, your level will only drop to 416. It will have virtually no affect on your dosing schedule. If you use Oceanic with it's 580 calcium and do a 20% water change, your ca will go to 452 which should not make a big difference in dosing either. This is 1 of the possible issues using a high calcium salt. You lose the stability of keeping the parameters as level as possible.

Randy doses kalk daily.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't plan on dosing then having a higher Calcium level will maintain a higher level for longer... but I suggest that you dose, as water parameters in the Ocean don't change much. Either that or you do smaller water changes more often. I heard of someone that had a "constant" water change. He had a salinity in his added water of about 1.024 and his tank stayed at about 1.025/1.026 depending on evaporation rates. His water just constantly dribbled in and his water constantly dribbled out. The flow worked out to about a 20% water change per week. He filled his new water once every two weeks.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i use a different salt each time. my theory is, what one salt lacks, another makes up.
i use reef crystals, seachem reef salt, oceanic, tropic marin pro reef, red sea coral pro, brightwell...basically, whatever i feel like buying at the time. i kept a sps dominated 200 gallon reef happy and growing for a couple years with just water changes with this method.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Wow. You are probably the first I have ever heard live by this standard in the SPS world. 99% of people preach stability and consistency for the best results. How would you rate your growth and color using your roulette method?
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Wow. You are probably the first I have ever heard live by this standard in the SPS world. 99% of people preach stability and consistency for the best results. How would you rate your growth and color using your roulette method?

I've heard people doing the same things- There are a few reefers that in an SPS dominated Tank they have cut ties with a Calcium reactor and stop dosing everything that is needed and started doing regular water changes each week- I think that if you regulate your standards on dosing and figure out your water changes your basically putting back what you lost. Alk,MAG, CAL.... I also feel if this is in the salt mix already then why will we need to dose everyday? I believe some folks do it to get rapid growth- which you can accomplish the same with just regular weekly water changes.

I've since broken down my system and I am left with a few pieces of LR and all my corals I was two part dosing for about 6 months saw great growth. Now since I stop dosing and doing weekly water changes as normal I have seen the same growth almost as I was with dosing. I don't know if this works with every system but it did in mine.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen Mr X's tank on Renegade Reefer and I must say that It was beautiful and well Kept, Some really nice frags
Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I have seen Mr X's tank on Renegade Reefer and I must say that It was beautiful and well Kept, Some really nice frags
Really interesting. Not knocking on what you do if its working. Just curious because its something pretty far away from the normal SPS dominant mentality. Do you do any phasing in of the new salt each bucket or just jump right in?
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When I switched around from salt to salt I never phased it in, I just went right to the next bucket. I used primarily RC but would bounce occasionally.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com