Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Salt Mix Question

I'm currently using Instant Ocean salt mix. I've recently added a few corals and was wondering if I should switch to the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals mix? Are there any benefits? Or should I stick with what I have.....I have to order some soon!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, you can switch slowly if you need or want to. But if it ain't broke, why attempt a fix? Are you having problems with your current salt? Salt mixes seem to be a matter of preference.

You thinking because of new corals you need to change? I did just fine with Instant Ocean for years.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

austinsdad- No problems with the salt...I was reading about the reef crystals, and it said it has "beneficial elements" for the corals........but I'd rather stick with what I have anyway! It's cheaper too! Thanks
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was using IO when I started adding corals I switched to Reef Crystals. I could never get anything balanced, didnt like the way it dissolved and always had calcium deposits because of the high calcium in RC. I tried Seachem Reef Salt was pleased with it. I am using RO/DI so I decided to try Red Sea Coral Pro because it said made for RO/DI probably a selling ploy but I can't see me using any other salt. I love Red Sea Coral Pro! The thing to do is try different salts till you find the one that fits you best.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Instant Ocean is perfectly fine to use. This is what Randy Holmes-Farley, author of countless reef chemisty articles, has to say about his salt choice.

"Here's my rational for using Instant Ocean:

I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.

I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.

I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix (because I doubt their utility, they degrade with time to who knows what, bacteria may thrive on them as I store new salt water for a substantial period, they are totally undescribed with respect to amounts or identity, they are not naturally present in natural seawater at appreciable levels, and because I've occasionally had them mess with my skimmer), so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.

I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.

There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.

I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.

That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does). It also has a very long track record of success in many aquaria with relatively few concerning issues of bad batches."

My personal choice is regular Red Sea salt. The Red Sea Coral Pro version is a little too high in calcium and too low in alk and messed with my dosing scheme. The alk level in Instant Ocean is a little too high for my liking.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

"Instant Ocean is perfectly fine to use"

Good news as I just ordered 2 boxes cuz it was on sale at pet solutions.

110 Gallon FOWLR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Come on Larry. I just bought another bucket of Oceanic and you just spoiled it for me. LOL. Good article

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Hehehe...sorry Mike.

He also says...."I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons."
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
I'm currently using Instant Ocean salt mix. I've recently added a few corals and was wondering if I should switch to the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals mix? Are there any benefits? Or should I stick with what I have.....I have to order some soon!
I doubt a few corals would make a difference in needing to change saltmix. Even more importantly what type of corals did you add and what size? If you added softies like a toadstool and some zoanthids then there also would be no need to change saltmix since they won't be sucking out the calcium from the water. Even if you add a bunch of hard corals you can still keep using IO, you may just have to supplement more Calcium etc. So for now, my vote would be to just stick with what you have been using.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Hehehe...sorry Mike.

He also says...."I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons."
Larry, does Randy have any pictures/website of his tank that you know about? I know he is a wealth of reefing knowledge, especially on the chemistry side, and extremely smart Harvard grad etc etc etc etc.
I'd like to see his reefing work, I was looking on RC the other day and couldn't really find anything.

Tags
salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com