Salt mix residue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wasn't sure where to post this but as the title says.. alot white residue. So I use red sea pro and I really like the salt however, after mixing a couple 5 gallon containers I noticed this white residue on the bottom of my containers as on the sides. i can get my hands inside and it feels sticky and not to easy to remove. whats the best way of cleaning this?

Well I am not going to lie I did not read the whole article but I did read through most of it.. Maybe I just missed it some where but how should I clean this white chalky residue? .. I didn't come across cleaning this in the article. good info by the way.

I have the same salt mix and the same problem LOL

What I usually do is leaving about 3-5 inch of water in my 35g can and spill that out into the driveway. Don't want any leftover high salt residue in my tank water. Than I leave the can lying on the side and use my hose to hose down the inside with high water pressure (when u adjust the nozzle u hit that thin stream with high pressure). That takes care of a lot. The rest just needs a lot of elbow grease and a scrubber designated to this job. Make sure it's a scrubber that doesn't dissolve when in contact with saltwater. Then rinse again. I usually do that every other time I have to fill em up.

The 5g Home Depot buckets are usually easier to clean. U may find some discoloration on the inside from the salt mix. That's ok

Pschmitt said:
Wow, thought about switching to this salt. Hmmmm, think gonna stay with TM. I never get any residue.

What's TM?

15 bla bla bla

They all do it to some extent. Most of it is undissolved calcium products. I small splash of white vinegar should break it up, just rinse the bucket well after use. Instant ocean is bad about doing it. Their Reef Crystals seem to dissolve better.

Will read up on Tropic Marine but I get great results with my RS pro for reefs, don't really mind the residue

dont forget to get ur hand in there and move it along the wall to move that stuff around. mine usualy gets off this way fairly easy

let us know how it went

Better settled in the bottom of your water mixing barrel rather than broadcast onto your reef or fish tank. I bet if you analyzed it it is mostly calcium and a few other minerals that aren't all that soluble. Left over.

I am noticing the same problem in my buckets w seachem salinity salt, where as I had none of this w seachem reef crystals.. I had to get salinity it was all my lfs had and it's very expensive!! Going back to reef crystals next time

I am noticing the same problem in my buckets w seachem salinity salt, where as I had none of this w seachem reef crystals.. I had to get salinity it was all my lfs had and it's very expensive!! Going back to reef crystals next time

dunno how they price it at your lfs. but its actually cheaper at my work. if you look the small bucket mixes to 120 gallons at .026 all other salts mix to .022.

Back
Top Bottom