Salt Mix Vs. Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I usually buy my salt water from my lfs, however I've read that mixing your own is better. So that's the question? Which method do you think is best?
I've run into some balancing issues and have no problem with the chemistry (so far) but, it's got me thinking, "If I mix my own will I have less issues with dKH, phosphate, etc?" As usual if you've got an opinion about this I'd love to hear it.

(y)

So what is the water at the LFS. Does he mix his own or is it natural seawater. If he mixes his own as long as the water parameters are the same you can use it but you`ll have to worry about all the lugging and the price. To make your own will require less work and less money.

I think it comes down to cost and salt. What salt does your lfs use? What would you use and how much would it cost to make your own. And is what you would use considered better or worse than what your lfs uses.

I mix my own so I can control what I'm using.

I make my own too. Do you have a RO/DI unit? You can do a search on salt mix for the site and see who uses what and why.

So what is the water at the LFS. Does he mix his own or is it natural seawater. If he mixes his own as long as the water parameters are the same you can use it but you`ll have to worry about all the lugging and the price. To make your own will require less work and less money.

The lugging and cost is minimal. From what he tells me it's the same water he's using in his tank, weather he's pulling it right from the system or his premix/ overflow, I don't know.

I think it comes down to cost and salt. What salt does your lfs use? What would you use and how much would it cost to make your own. And is what you would use considered better or worse than what your lfs uses.

I mix my own so I can control what I'm using.

I'm not sure what I'd use if I started to make my own and I don't know if or what he's mixing his with. I certainly understand the convenience factor of mixing my own, but I've only got a 10g right now. I'm having some alk issues right now, nothing huge though. My alk is 179 and the PH is 8.0 I was curious cause if I could surpass some of the chemistry portion of this test by mixing I would be all for it. Know what I mean...?
:thanks:

I make my own too. Do you have a RO/DI unit? You can do a search on salt mix for the site and see who uses what and why.

I do not have a RO/DI unit, I get that from the lfs as well.

Ask your lfs what they use in their salt water and if they sell the salt and go from there. Are you planning on reef?

Also another thing to consider. If you stock saltwater you will need more containers to stock rodi water for top offs. If you just stock rodi then you can mix the day before in a bucket. Can't take the salt out if you run out of rodi.

Ask your lfs what they use in their salt water and if they sell the salt and go from there. Are you planning on reef?

Also another thing to consider. If you stock saltwater you will need more containers to stock rodi water for top offs. If you just stock rodi then you can mix the day before in a bucket. Can't take the salt out if you run out of rodi.

I've currently got a 10g reef with a couple of corals, 1 clown & 6 hermits, along with 3 brittle star hitchhikers. I usually use the saltwater I've got for changes and top up with the RO/DI as needed.

Back
Top Bottom