Salt mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any comments on the worst / best etc...

I used to get Red Sea already mixed from my LFS and never had any problems at all.

Then I switched LFS's and started using "instant ocean" premixed... Now that I have been thinking about it, I have had a couple problems since -- but I highly doubt it was related to the SW mix.

So now I'm determined to start making my own RO/DI water and to mix my own salt....

I was looking at Liveaquaria.com / Dr fosterandsmith and think i'm gonna go with the "red sea salt" for $42.99 for a 200 gallon mix -- but then I also see "red sea coral pro salt and was wondering if anyone is using this and their thoughts??

Is this for a reef tank or for a FO/FOWLR tank?

Red Sea is good salt. I've used the RS Coal Pro before and had decent results. I have bounced around with a few different mixes and have found that I like Reef Crystals the best. Instant Ocean is or can cause issues with algae outbreaks, or that has been my experience and I will only use IO if I have no other option and it is an emergency and I can't find anything else.

Like I said I have had some breakouts since I started using IO (I really just thought of this today)....

I have a Reed tank... small 34gallon. right now have it stocked as follows:

2 emerald crabls
10 nassarius snails
3 turbo florida snails
1 lettuce slug
5 mexican crabs
1 green open brain - LPS
1 bubble coral - LPS
1 leather finger - coral
1 Frogspawn - LPS
1 Zoo - who knows LOL
1 Pink Carnation - Soft Coral

Correction --- I have a REEF Tank.

I also have 2 saddle back clowns in it.

No fish?

I have found over the last 3 years that when I am forced to use IO I end up with algae issues. Just my experience....

What salt to use will have 10 different answers from 10 different people. They all have their pros and cons. I prefer Oceanic because it keeps my calcium where it needs to be. If you search this site you`ll come up with many threads and what people use. I started two of them.

I do have 2 fish - saddle back clowns.

Yeah, like everything else in the salt water community - everyone has a different opinion. lol I think that is what makes it so much fun!

I prefer Instant Ocean, old reliable.
Do you bump up the ca and mag when you mix it?
I was going to get a bucket to try it and boost the ca and mag with the DIY solutions, but the lfs was charging almost the same price I pay for Red Sea CP.

So if everyone has there take on different Salt Mixes which one would everyone can say would be the best even though you are using a mix that you know there is something out there that is better?

So if everyone has there take on different Salt Mixes which one would everyone can say would be the best even though you are using a mix that you know there is something out there that is better?

It`s not that there is a better salt out there but that they have their tradeoffs. Oceanic has high calcium but supposedly has a lower PH and mag readings.All the other salts have their good point and they have their bad points. I cant tell James (innovator) my Oceanic is better than your IO because I have good calcium readings when he has better PH readings. You just have to pick what works for you.

I have a question (If you dont mind Frank)

Can you combine two different mixes?

You could combine two different mixes and people have, but the problem is assaying final formulation results of the elements now mixed together and assuming both salt mixes are thoroughly premixed. You can; however, formulate your own salt mix by purchasing elements separately. How costly this would be on a hobby level I do not know. As Melosu said, results will vary as no two aquariums are alike and I personally disbelieve that any salt mix is a direct cause of algae outbreaks. Many variables are prevalent even in testings and more likely algae spurs from an unbalanced ecosystem (to an extent). Either way, you could choose 2-3 of the popular top brands and run some long-term trial and error testing with what works best for your tank. When doing this understand that switching salt brands can lead to algae outbreaks.

I definitely agree with long term trial and effort. One bucket will not be enough. Find those threads I started on salt mixes and do like James said and pick one to start and after several months if you are not obtaining your goals then switch. I do agree that constant switching will cause problems.

I tried a few salt mixes I ended up sticking with reef crystals after talking with Kurt Nelson I liked his opinion of things and trusted his judgement since I had no clue what I was doing when I started. I have had zero problems with it other than low calcium level which really hasn't created a problem for my tank since its not overly stocked with corals. its just a bit lower than suggested levels.

I ended up sticking with reef crystals after talking with Kurt Nelson I liked his opinion of things and trusted his judgement

Kurt is a good guy. He knows his stuff when it comes to SW. He`s a great asset to this site.

Kurt is a good guy. He knows his stuff when it comes to SW. He`s a great asset to this site.

I agree I remember when I was first getting started I sent kurt a simple PM and he wrote back a novel of information thats what jump started my addiction because I am the type of guy that has to understand the why behind thing I don't just take anybodys word for it unless I understand it. Kurt was great about explaining the why behind things. That and reading the book Aquarium corals by ERIC H BORNEMAN my signature is a quote from the book I bought the book based on Kurt's suggestion.

Make sure you hit that white symbol at the bottom of his post and add to his reputation. He deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom