Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fluff , do you mean IO Instant Ocean? I'm using Instant Ocean (IO) and it dissolves faster than instantly for me. I just am starting out, am not testing for calcium yet. But my other basic parameters as of today are:
pH 8.1
sg 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 ppm. (and I'm still doing water changes to get that down)

As I become more experienced, maybe I'll have to switch to a more "experienced" (?) salt?

Old 06-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, instant ocean. (I see I have my letters turned around. lol) My experience with it is that some buckets dissolve faster than others. I don't know why. My last bucket was quick, the one I'm using now takes a bit more time. Your readings look good.
I dont think there is a more experienced salt. It's all a matter of preference and what you have available.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

What does everyone think of Kent's salt?
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
I went from Oceanic to kent. I like it, i would like to try tm salts.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:49 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
My experience with it is that some buckets dissolve faster than others.
see, that fact scares me....inconsistency in manufacture? I dunno.

unless I order online, the availability here is IO or ReefCrystals.
I had been getting Oceanic, and liked it, from the guy that sold me the big oceanic tank, but he went out of business after 15 years...I had wondered about red sea salt and tropic marin..

To me, a good salt is one that you do not have to play the additive game,
your fish and corals do well, and it dissoves nicely....all while not having to take out
a second mortgage to purchase. (let me know when you find it)
Old 06-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I had wondered about red sea salt
I used a couple bags of it when I was getting started and returned to IO. I thought, overall, my tank looked better w/ IO... :| FWIW, I've never come across anything negative about Tropic Marin salt-except pricing as you said- But you get what you pay for I guess...
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, the dissolving sometimes is a pain but that's the only thing that hasn't been consistent for me. IO and Oceanic are what is available to me, though Petsmart has another brand that I can't think of the name. But, I won't buy it from there since even their IO is about 15bucks more a bucket.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oceanic is in my system. Using Red Sea on water changes for a mix of salts. Red Sea doesnt seem to keep the clarity of the prior Oceanic but it helps boost good mineral tests.

The stepfather has used IO, Reef Crystals and Tropic Marine... as well as Oceanic.

Inconsistency in mixes doesn't necessarilly mean its an era from the factory. It could be sitting in a shipping warehouse that has high humidity, or even stored for long periods of time at the LFS...

...all in all, its just salt. Some have more additives than others, or are just from different sources. I think its funny we all pay ridiculous amounts of $$ for effing salt, water, and rocks.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
This is all rather interesting as I use IO and have always had low CA levels and my pH is always at about 7.8-8.1.. Hmmmm I think I might try using something else.

LFS offers Kent,oceanic and crystal sea along with IO. think I should try Oceanic...
Old 06-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use both IO and Oceanic. If I was tied to a couple horses, forced to decide on one, I would pick Oceanic only slightly ahead of IO only because it mixes *far* easier. it is near powder like. No matter what salt I use, I do not mix the salt 24 hours, etc before hand. I add salt, check SG (Hydrometer) and add to tank so the fact that Oceanic dissolves much easier breaks the tie for me. In my personal opinion, any report of a salt mix causing tank crash tells me we are not getting the full story. Obviously anything that would consistently cause damage would soon be rejected by us hobbiest. No matter what salt you go with, make sure you are starting with good quality water. Keep tabs on your levels before adding it to the tank. That may shed more light on any issues you might have well in advance. Like the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. On dosing, no salt mix will get you out of dosing..*Unless* you are ok with near if not slightly depleted levels of trace elements as compared with nsw. All salts have areas where they lack, so the idea that there is a one shot cures all out there, just does not exist. (Not to mention, how would those same companies justify selling additives!! ; ) Most of us dose to avoid changing water or to enhance if not accelerate coral growth to somewhat un natural levels. You'll find article after article where alk for example in tons of *very* successful tanks (Large tanks, typically large investments..) is elevtated to about 11 dkh. nsw is about 8. So the idea that you may somehow get away from dosing by finding some 'magic bullet' salt mix, well none of us have found it. At least not when your running your alk, mg, ca, etc at such elevated levels that most of us prefer.

Best of Luck!

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com