Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Salt Mixes

After reading the post below:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...54935&start=30

I had a question about salt mixes. I started it in a new post because I did not want to hijack that one.

What are the pros and cons of the different salt mixes?

What salt mixes do you use and why?

I have used instant ocean since I started my aquarium, but I was just curious if some brands were better than others.

2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
zacdl

There have been many differant topics on this,

And the majority of the world uses Instant Ocean.

Its one of the cheaper kinds, and its one of the better kinds (Kinda rare to find both of those together)
Old 06-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
and the majority of the world uses Instant Ocean.

Its one of the cheaper kinds, and its one of the better kinds (Kinda rare to find both of those together)
I am not sure where you are pulling your information, but IO is nowhere near one of the best salts out there. The technical/chemical reviews on the makeup of the salt in comparison with others, leaves it lacking in many different areas. There have also been many reports of tanks crashing after doing a water change with IO. I experienced this personally with the loss of the entire contents of my 175 gallon reeftank two years ago memorial weekend.

Zac, please preface your statements with "in my opionion" when you make claims such as the one you did. IO is probably one of the most popular, but "I" would say strictly for the price. Some people think it is quite suitable for fish only tanks...
Old 06-19-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
zacdl

IO is the best selling salt mix.... Statistic.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have used instant ocean since I started my aquarium,
I've also used IO for almost 2 years now. It is low in Ca and high in Alk right out of the bag. Not a good combo for a reef aquarium. I combat that by boosting Ca w/ Kent Turbo Ca before use. Having to adjust the parameters of fesh saltwater is getting to be a PITA though. I'm most likely going to switch to Tropic Marin very soon, it is one of the "premium" salt mixes. It test great right out of the bag-so I've heard. FWIW, there have been many, MANY threads about this topic on just about every SW forum. HTH
Old 06-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
yes it is the "top selling", ...it is cheap and readily available. "Better", is strictly a matter of opinion. I used IO when I first started in saltwater because it was readily available. I know it has a higher ammonia content than most other mixes, I also know that with MY water, it was a bear to get it to fully disolve, even after days of mixing in a bucket. I also know that I experienced a major tank crash and when searching for reasons, was quite surprised to see the number of people that had experienced the exact same thing. Possibly contaminated? who knows....I know that I will not use it again.

McDonalds sells hte most popular hamburger, the BigMac, is it good for you?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lets see some of those facts Zac... I agree with Hara on this one.
Is IO a good salt yes, is it the best ... NO..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
zacdl

Take it easy...
I didnt say it was the best, I said it was one of the better salt mixes.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
I didnt say it was the best, I said it was one of the better salt mixes.
In your opinion
Old 06-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started out with OI, switched to Oceanic, didn't like it and switched back to OI. I won't switch again. I like it. Like Hara said, it is a bugger to dissolve sometimes. And I believe sometimes like with everything, you can get a bad batch. I've never had to boost anything. It keeps my calcium high and my ph steady. Some public aquariums use it so it's good enough for mine. As for it being the best? I don't know. I've never tried all the other salts out there to give them a fair trial. :|

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com