Salt Mixes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpEd

Aquarium Advice Regular
After reading the post below:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=54935&start=30

I had a question about salt mixes. I started it in a new post because I did not want to hijack that one.

What are the pros and cons of the different salt mixes?

What salt mixes do you use and why?

I have used instant ocean since I started my aquarium, but I was just curious if some brands were better than others.

There have been many differant topics on this,

And the majority of the world uses Instant Ocean.

Its one of the cheaper kinds, and its one of the better kinds (Kinda rare to find both of those together)

zacdl said:
and the majority of the world uses Instant Ocean.

Its one of the cheaper kinds, and its one of the better kinds (Kinda rare to find both of those together)

I am not sure where you are pulling your information, but IO is nowhere near one of the best salts out there. The technical/chemical reviews on the makeup of the salt in comparison with others, leaves it lacking in many different areas. There have also been many reports of tanks crashing after doing a water change with IO. I experienced this personally with the loss of the entire contents of my 175 gallon reeftank two years ago memorial weekend.

Zac, please preface your statements with "in my opionion" when you make claims such as the one you did. IO is probably one of the most popular, but "I" would say strictly for the price. Some people think it is quite suitable for fish only tanks...

I have used instant ocean since I started my aquarium,
I've also used IO for almost 2 years now. It is low in Ca and high in Alk right out of the bag. Not a good combo for a reef aquarium. I combat that by boosting Ca w/ Kent Turbo Ca before use. Having to adjust the parameters of fesh saltwater is getting to be a PITA though. I'm most likely going to switch to Tropic Marin very soon, it is one of the "premium" salt mixes. It test great right out of the bag-so I've heard. FWIW, there have been many, MANY threads about this topic on just about every SW forum. HTH

yes it is the "top selling", ...it is cheap and readily available. "Better", is strictly a matter of opinion. I used IO when I first started in saltwater because it was readily available. I know it has a higher ammonia content than most other mixes, I also know that with MY water, it was a bear to get it to fully disolve, even after days of mixing in a bucket. I also know that I experienced a major tank crash and when searching for reasons, was quite surprised to see the number of people that had experienced the exact same thing. Possibly contaminated? who knows....I know that I will not use it again.

McDonalds sells hte most popular hamburger, the BigMac, is it good for you?

Take it easy...
I didnt say it was the best, I said it was one of the better salt mixes.

I started out with OI, switched to Oceanic, didn't like it and switched back to OI. I won't switch again. I like it. Like Hara said, it is a bugger to dissolve sometimes. And I believe sometimes like with everything, you can get a bad batch. I've never had to boost anything. It keeps my calcium high and my ph steady. Some public aquariums use it so it's good enough for mine. As for it being the best? I don't know. I've never tried all the other salts out there to give them a fair trial. :|

Fluff , do you mean IO Instant Ocean? I'm using Instant Ocean (IO) and it dissolves faster than instantly for me. I just am starting out, am not testing for calcium yet. But my other basic parameters as of today are:
pH 8.1
sg 1.023
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10 ppm. (and I'm still doing water changes to get that down)

As I become more experienced, maybe I'll have to switch to a more "experienced" (?) salt?

Yes, instant ocean. (I see I have my letters turned around. lol) My experience with it is that some buckets dissolve faster than others. I don't know why. My last bucket was quick, the one I'm using now takes a bit more time. Your readings look good.
I dont think there is a more experienced salt. It's all a matter of preference and what you have available.

My experience with it is that some buckets dissolve faster than others.

see, that fact scares me....inconsistency in manufacture? I dunno.

unless I order online, the availability here is IO or ReefCrystals.
I had been getting Oceanic, and liked it, from the guy that sold me the big oceanic tank, but he went out of business after 15 years...I had wondered about red sea salt and tropic marin..

To me, a good salt is one that you do not have to play the additive game,
your fish and corals do well, and it dissoves nicely....all while not having to take out
a second mortgage to purchase. (let me know when you find it)

I had wondered about red sea salt
I used a couple bags of it when I was getting started and returned to IO. I thought, overall, my tank looked better w/ IO... :| FWIW, I've never come across anything negative about Tropic Marin salt-except pricing as you said- But you get what you pay for I guess...

Yeah, the dissolving sometimes is a pain but that's the only thing that hasn't been consistent for me. IO and Oceanic are what is available to me, though Petsmart has another brand that I can't think of the name. But, I won't buy it from there since even their IO is about 15bucks more a bucket.

Oceanic is in my system. Using Red Sea on water changes for a mix of salts. Red Sea doesnt seem to keep the clarity of the prior Oceanic but it helps boost good mineral tests.

The stepfather has used IO, Reef Crystals and Tropic Marine... as well as Oceanic.

Inconsistency in mixes doesn't necessarilly mean its an era from the factory. It could be sitting in a shipping warehouse that has high humidity, or even stored for long periods of time at the LFS...

...all in all, its just salt. Some have more additives than others, or are just from different sources. I think its funny we all pay ridiculous amounts of $$ for effing salt, water, and rocks. :roll:

This is all rather interesting as I use IO and have always had low CA levels and my pH is always at about 7.8-8.1.. Hmmmm I think I might try using something else.

LFS offers Kent,oceanic and crystal sea along with IO. think I should try Oceanic...

I use both IO and Oceanic. If I was tied to a couple horses, forced to decide on one, I would pick Oceanic only slightly ahead of IO only because it mixes *far* easier. it is near powder like. No matter what salt I use, I do not mix the salt 24 hours, etc before hand. I add salt, check SG (Hydrometer) and add to tank so the fact that Oceanic dissolves much easier breaks the tie for me. In my personal opinion, any report of a salt mix causing tank crash tells me we are not getting the full story. Obviously anything that would consistently cause damage would soon be rejected by us hobbiest. No matter what salt you go with, make sure you are starting with good quality water. Keep tabs on your levels before adding it to the tank. That may shed more light on any issues you might have well in advance. Like the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. On dosing, no salt mix will get you out of dosing..*Unless* you are ok with near if not slightly depleted levels of trace elements as compared with nsw. All salts have areas where they lack, so the idea that there is a one shot cures all out there, just does not exist. (Not to mention, how would those same companies justify selling additives!! ; ) Most of us dose to avoid changing water or to enhance if not accelerate coral growth to somewhat un natural levels. You'll find article after article where alk for example in tons of *very* successful tanks (Large tanks, typically large investments..) is elevtated to about 11 dkh. nsw is about 8. So the idea that you may somehow get away from dosing by finding some 'magic bullet' salt mix, well none of us have found it. At least not when your running your alk, mg, ca, etc at such elevated levels that most of us prefer.

Best of Luck!

Back
Top Bottom