Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Salt Mixes best for RO/DI?

I guess this question shouldn't be asked, but everyone has there opinion and I want some insight on it? I know this is a hard topic to talk about because everyone uses there own salt mix or they like what they are using. But what I want to know is what would be a good mix for RO/DI water? I know IO salt is good for Tap water cause it doesn't contain as much of the chemical balance that most Salt mixes make. I know there are some salt mixes that produce more calcium and all the goods that are needed for a Reef Tank. Let me know what you guys think would be good choice without the different varieties of way salt mixes can be used. I understand the concept of salt mixes but just trying to get the minds working tonight i Guess...LOL... Let me know...

Thanks

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey Tank!

I think this is a pretty good question and I am interested to hear what others have to say as well...although I am sure you are right, every one of us could have a different opinion. For me, I started out with Kent's Sea Salt but the LFS closest to my house didn't carry it so I switched over to IO reef crystals and haven't looked back. I've always used RO water and at first, I was using reef crystals even though my tank was FOWLR at the time. Unfortunately, I never did any experimenting with other brands so I can't give any comparisons but I can say that this salt mix has never given me a reason to change...if that is worth anything.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Good Stuff... I know there are others that want to chime in so i'll sit back and wait...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I prefer Instant Ocean regardless if mixing with tap or ro/di and if I were to ever stray it would be to Reef Crystals.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I use Oceanic salt mix with my RO/DI water. I`ve had good results with calcium readings using it. That`s the main reason for me. Calcium stays between 450 and 480.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Ah yes...the best salt thread. We haven't have 1 in what...2-3 weeks?
Anyway, I will tell my tale...lol. I use Red Sea Coral Pro. I used Red Sea previously and switched to the Coral Pro when that came out. When I make up my new water, it tests about 480 ca, 7 dKH and 1325 mg. The ca is a little higher than I run my tank (about 430), the alk is low and the mag is just right. So.....I dose baking soda in the fresh mix to get the alk up to about 11 dKH. Now what happens is since I also dose 2-part every day, over time my calcium starts rising. I had to make an adjustment to how much of each 2 part I was dosing. It's not equal parts now so I can't cook them both up at the same time. The higher ca in the salt mix just made things a little more complicated in my case.
I know alot of people and have seen some awesome tanks, the PSU 500g reef for example, where Instant Ocean is used. But that's not all. There was a thread on RC about this and I asked Sanjay about it. IO typically tests at about 340 ca, 12 dKH and 1100 mg. So they bump up the ca and mag in the new mix with the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride you can get from Bulk Reef Supply. So they make the mix to maybe 32ppt and then dose. Adding the ca and mg raises both those levels, plus it raises the sg. You are now using less salt to get to 35ppt and you have your ca, alk and mg levels all at optimal levels. It is actually cheaper to use IO and dose the ca and mg than it is to use IO alone to get to 35ppt! The cost for the amount of ca and mg to raise the sg cost less the extra salt needed to get to 35ppt. IO is usually the cheapest to buy to begin with.
I think when I finish the bucket I'm using now, I'm going to try the IO.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
IO typically tests at about 340 ca
This is what I mean about IO is some what good with tap water I tested my water and the Calcium Levels in my tap water are about 140ca to 200ca depending on the day....... That's why I said IO can be good for Tap water because it adds the extra Ca in. IMO... But lets bring in some more thoughts.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
If your using tap water, calcium should be the least of your worries.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've also heard it said (by reputable folk) that the calcium that is in your tap water is not "available" for use by coral. I have no idea whether that's true or not because I'm not a chemist.

Some of the salts out there now imply that their salt is best for use with RO/DI. I think that's just an interesting marketing ploy. In reality, I bet ALL salt mixes are formulated using RO/DI water.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
how bout reef crystals? i thought that it was supposed to be more suited for corals than instant ocean? but it seems like most people use IO over RC. i kno theres a price difference and i dont kno nuttin abut the chemicals or w/e so just curious as to why many ppl prefer IO?

Tags
ro/di, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com