Salt mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just curious of how everyone else figures out how much salt for each gallon?

I use a scale and weigh for each gallon, but I feel/hope there is a faster way..

I use a solo cup that I've marked with how much salt makes 2.5g and another for 5 to 1.026. But I run nanos and rarely find my self making up more than 10g at a time

Rule of thumb is half baking cup per one gallon of water.

Agreed. I think most brands use that and it is usually stated on the bag or tub.

I use a 1 cup scoop, take the number of gallons I am mixing, divide by two and that's how many scoops I add. I always double check the salinity with a refractometer once it's mixed just to be sure it ended up where I wanted it.

RODI water to the top ridge on my 20g Brute can + 9 1 cup scoops of salt = 1.025 SG. I check and add salt or water as needed from there.

Every salt brand can be 'different' on how much they say it'll take. I use a glass measuring cup to get the amount they recommend per gallons. Some need a tad more, some a tad less. If I'm over I just slowly add more ro and slowly salt if I'm under.

Okay thank you everyone! I will def be trying out the measuring cup .. Sounds a lot easier than weighing out 165 grams per gallon .. I just bought an RO unit and can mix more gallons at a time now and was wanting a faster way which seems to be the measuring cup! Appreciate all the answers!

Does anyone mix days before? And heat it?

They need to mix 24-48 hours ahead of time and yes a heater would be a good idea. Mixes better in warmer water.

Okay thanks, I'll be doing that also ... And I use Instant Ocean Reef crystals

Agreed. I think most brands use that and it is usually stated on the bag or tub.

I use a 1 cup scoop, take the number of gallons I am mixing, divide by two and that's how many scoops I add. I always double check the salinity with a refractometer once it's mixed just to be sure it ended up where I wanted it.

Agreed, about 1/2 scoop per gallon. 13 scoops make 25 gallons. Always test before use. I let it sit for 24 hours or more.

RedSea actually says not to mix beyond 4 hours. I actually use a scale and weigh out 750g per 5 gallons yields 1.025 SG.

I worked out what weight worked for my needs on little kitchen baking scales, just a little trial and error till I got the right mixture. Now I know the exact weight of salt I need to add to every gallon of water I'm making up.

RedSea actually says not to mix beyond 4 hours. I actually use a scale and weigh out 750g per 5 gallons yields 1.025 SG.

I did not know that. I've always noticed it mixed fast but for some reason thought it was better to let it mix over night.

That's odd. It must have something in it that doesn't last long. That raises my interest because I am not fond of some additives. This is reported as very good salt, but I'm wondering why the 4 hours. Most brands can easily be stored days or even weeks if agitated and in a dark container.

I use a measuring cup, I usually change 15 gallons a week, so it comes out to about 7.5 cups.. I mix mines before I start, let my pump circulate the water.. By the time I'm done siphoning the water to change out, it's usually good to go..

For the time question: I have stored my water in a large glass container for weeks. Hmm, the fish in that glass container don't seem to mind the water being over 4 hrs old. Seems like a weird thing to say, not letting the water rat for longer than thAt.

As for prepping water, as I change salts each time I use trial and error. I do a 16 gal change so I add 14 gals of water and the recommended dose for that. Put my spare heater in there and the pump I use for the water change and leave it over night. Next morning I check salinity and once it's ok, I add enough salt for the full 16 gals and let it mix a hour or 2. Then I add the rest of the water watching the salinity drop as I do it. I stop at around 1.0252 on my digital monitor ( I love that thing).
After the first time with the new salt I right down how many cups I added.

Mixing high initially then bringing it down is easier than tweaking salinity up.

Back
Top Bottom