Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
salt on tank

I'm new here so no laughing. I've had my salt water tank running for 6 weeks. There is alot of dried salt on the filter and around the top of the tank hood.I want to clean that off tommorrow and was wondering if it is ok to brush it off back into the tank. I really love this new hobby and have enjoyed reading this fourm. I'm sure I will be posting alot more questions. The man at my local fish store has had his business over 30 years and is very helpful but I can't call him with questions this late at night!

stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
you can put the salt back into the tank but watch your SG and make sure it doesnt raise too much from it

welcome too AA 8)

e-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
What you are referring to is what is called "salt creep". This happens when water is splashed on a surface and then evaporates. All that is left behind is the salt.

I routinely brush it back into the tank like e-cat suggested. I get a ton of salt creep in my sump because of the light splashing I have with the overflow and skimmer down there.
Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
I try not to add it to my tank, it is a simple matter to replace the salt durin a water change, but the salt is not the same anymore.

We had a similar thread awhile back and when one of our advisors posted to it his post rang true to me and I have held this view since.

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I remove it. Reason being is that by drying out the chemical composition will never be the same. All the Ca had precipitated with the Carbonate, etc.

It is no different than adding rock salt to your tank. Sure, it contains some trace elements but during the evap/condensing proceedure it has combined into crystals or combined with another element.

Ditch it or put it in a bottle and tell your significant other that it's g e n u i n e sea salt.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 09:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah I have read this as well. I am on the fense about it though. Some say to add it while others say not to.
Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com