Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Salt Opinion Needed

I used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals from start (2 1/2 years ago) till about 6 months ago in my reef. The ONLY thing I didn't like about it was the residue it left in my mixing tub. I switched to what I thought was a premium brand, Seachem ReefSalt. The mixing tub does look better, but my corals do not. I've had to dose magnesium with the Seachem because my calcium levels were way high. Should I go back to IO to see if corals improve? Is there a salt mix out there that has the best of both worlds? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 02-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have used many different salt mixes through the years and this is one of those debates that has many different views. I have always had the best results using reef crystals. I have seen the residue you are talking about before. I usually see it when I dump a lot of salt into the water at one time.

For the money and the results I have seen over the last several years Reef Crystals is what I will continue to use.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought about switching back just because if it works, hey I'll get to save some $. Thanks

Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyR6Rocks View Post
I thought about switching back just because if it works, hey I'll get to save some $. Thanks

I am sure there will be many other opinions posted but as I said since 2006 I have been primarily using RC, with very good results.

If you saw good color and polyp extension with RC and with the change in salt mix things degraded in your system it could have been the salt but it could be something else. I say remove variables and see if things change.

Good luck!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I like Oceanic. Larger container for the money, mixes clean. The only issue is the alk is a little low, which can easily be corrected. I have seen that residue with many salts, but not with Tropic Marin or Oceanic. All of the salts I have used have given me similar results when speaking in terms of coral health- Oceanic, RC, Seachem Reef, Coralife, Kent, Brightwell Neo Marine, Tropic Marin...
Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use Red Sea Pro Salt. Usually a little expensive, even online. But 1 LFS sales it for $55 for a 200 gallons worth of salt bags. or the 160 gallon bucket worth of salt. I have enough buckets, so I go with the 200. It's awesome and my calcium and alk are very good. But it does leave that layer of residue in my totes. I have seen this as unavoidable (since I like this salt so much) and just empty out the tote and do a nice scrub with a sponge every 2 or 3 WCs. I only do WCs every 2-3 weeks, so this is only about a bi-monthly chore and not a big deal. Enjoyable since it's actually part of the hobby. ^^

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com