Salt Poll (what salt mix do you use?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Salt Mix Do You Use??

• Kent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tropic

• Coralife

• Reef Crystals

• Saechem

• Red Sea

• Oceanic

• Other

• Total voters

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
What salt do you use?

Just because more people use one salt over the other doesnt make that salt better, it could be that it is cheaper. Do not go out and buy salt based on this poll, but buy salt based on the experience of fish keepers.

Post as to why you use the brand of salt that you do use. :wink:

I would also like it if some of you more experienced reef keepers could post as to why you use the salt that you do use......AHEMM...Steve S....AHEMM.... :D

I use Instant Ocean. I only have two types of salt available to me. IO and Oceanic. I switched to Oceanic for a while but it lowered my PH and my calcium. Now I'm back with IO.

I use Oceanic. Never used anything else, but some of the experts tell me that it is super high quality, very fast dissolving, and (my favorite part) cheap!

revtree, you should add table Salt to your poll just for giggles.

I use Instant Ocean because the original LFS I went to suggested it. No problems yet, so I don't intend to fix what isn't broken.

I've been using IO, but because it does have lower Ca levels, I'm switching to Oceanic due to it's more balanced chemistry.

*edit*
my tank is FOWLR/reef (Don't quite have super wicked lighting, but its probably more reef than fowlr)

I use Coralife because you get a free shirt! :lach: Really (And that is what my LFS has instock most of the time. I use it in my reef also. But then again i dose with everything under the sun :lol: And i dont do water changes in the either :?

When responding it may also help others to know the type of tank you have; reef, FO or FOWLR.

I have used IO in the past and found it quite lacking. I'm not out to bash the brand nor the manufacturer, I think it still definately has it's place though just not in my tanks.

Personally I use Kent Marine salts. They have consistantly provided a product with a good balance in alk, Ca and and adequate Mg level. I have never had issue with this salt in any regard.

Cheers
Steve

I have done a lot of reef research and found that about 90% of the people that have been into the reef seen for a long time ( like since the early 70's ) All use Kent marine products. So that has to tell you something. BTW my tank is FO

I use Oceanic in my reef tank.. Keeps my CA right where I want it, after i do my regular water changes.. I could help but notice the difference it made with my corals and the clarity of my water when I started using it.. I've tried IO and Reef Crystals and this one is far more superior to those two combined.. The only other Salt I like other than Oceanic is Tropic Marine..But its cost has strayed me away..

I used to use Red sea but my lfs stopped getting it in so I had a choice of IO, Kent or Oceanic. I chose the IO because many people here suggest it. I will probably stick with it so as not to stress the fish out to much.

I use Crystal Sea "Reef Blend" (what a joke) in my Reef due to it's low cost of $19.99 for a 150g bucket. This is about 25-50% cheaper than the other names the lfs carries. The problem is my Ca level is well under 300 doing regular water changes. I do not feel like dosing so I will be switching salts ASAP - I will probably go with Oceanic or Kent. Overall I would recommend Crystal Sea for stictly a FO, but not a reef or even FOWL where you would want the Ca for coralline algae. It is really sad that this company call this a "reef blend"

Back
Top Bottom