I just bought a salt water tank complete with livestock (2 clown fishes and a clean up crew) second hand. The problem I have is that as this is my first salt water tank I don't want to have to rush to set it up to get the fish in. So I was wondering would it be possible for me to set a a FO
holding tank where the fish could send a week or 2 while I set up the tank. The tank currently uses a combination of live rock and an external filer, but I would like to get rid of the filter and add some more live rock, I was therefore thinking that I could use the external filter (1050 l/h flow rate), with a 15 gal
tank I have spare, some water out of the tank, a spare protein skimmer and set up a small holding tank. My questions are:
1. Is this possible/sensible?
2. Would I need some kind of substrate at the bottom or could I leave it bare?
3. What else would I need in the tank apart from a heater?
4. How long would the fish be OK in a tank like that?
5. Should I just forget about this idea, sell the livestock to my LFS
and just buy some new ones when I'm ready?
Thanks in advance for all your help!