Salt Water holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WelshTom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I just bought a salt water tank complete with livestock (2 clown fishes and a clean up crew) second hand. The problem I have is that as this is my first salt water tank I don't want to have to rush to set it up to get the fish in. So I was wondering would it be possible for me to set a a FO holding tank where the fish could send a week or 2 while I set up the tank. The tank currently uses a combination of live rock and an external filer, but I would like to get rid of the filter and add some more live rock, I was therefore thinking that I could use the external filter (1050 l/h flow rate), with a 15 gal tank I have spare, some water out of the tank, a spare protein skimmer and set up a small holding tank. My questions are:

1. Is this possible/sensible?
2. Would I need some kind of substrate at the bottom or could I leave it bare?
3. What else would I need in the tank apart from a heater?
4. How long would the fish be OK in a tank like that?
5. Should I just forget about this idea, sell the livestock to my LFS and just buy some new ones when I'm ready?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

What you want to do is fine and it will work. I would also add some of the LR to the holding tank. Running barebottom is fine

Back
Top Bottom