Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimmy34275

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can u take water from ur tank with good parameters n put it in a water jug to use later?

Just to top off as needed but wasn't sure if that was possible

Your top off water should be freshwater as only the actual water evaporates; not the salt. If you top off with saltwater, you will constantly be raising the salinity.

If you mean can you use water from a freshwater tank to top off, technically you could, but I wouldn't recommend it. You will likely be increasing nutrients for algae and will end up with cyanobacteria or hair algae.

As stated top offs should be done with freshwater since the salt doesn't evaporate. RO water is best if you have a RO unit. If you're using saltwater or water from a freshwater tank fo top offs you're setting yourself up for disaster.

I have been topping off my saltwater tank with distilled water. I added some LR n base rock to my tank and naturally it raised the water so I pulled some off. I just didn't know if there was anything I could do with the extra water.

Kimmy34275 said:
I have been topping off my saltwater tank with distilled water. I added some LR n base rock to my tank and naturally it raised the water so I pulled some off. I just didn't know if there was anything I could do with the extra water.

Ahh I see. Do you have an extra tank lying around? Lol I'm afraid you'll just have to toss it.

I do have several extra tanks but they are not set up just empty

Well you have a head start on filling them with water now. Good enough of an excuse for me lol.

Ha I wish starting a saltwater tank was just as easy as a freshwater. I have just started the saltwater game after threatening it for years. I have 6 freshwater set up now n a pond outside and a reserve tank to keep my convicts in for the winter.

Kimmy - welcome to the club. I kept cichlid tanks for several years and am constantly amazed at how difficult the hobby becomes when you go salt and try to keep it as close to "biological filtration only" as possible. It's amazing how much easier life is when you're willing to use a drop or two of chemicals here or there. I mean ****, my cichlid tanks basically ran themselves, could be ignored for weeks at a time without water changes, and still kept going just beautifully.

I do that to my saltwater fowlr and I'll be screwed ;)

Back
Top Bottom