saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyma10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it ok if I use Beach water for my pw. Changes I live in Puerto Rico and I practically live by the beach

Is it ok if I use Beach water for my pw. Changes I live in Puerto Rico and I practically live by the beach

Hmm that's interesting I've never thought of doing that. I guess it could work since its tropical.

But I think you would risk contaminants.

If you were going to try this I would definitely want a uv sterilizer.

Beaches are nature's skimmers it would be much better if you could get it farther out

I will paste the reply I put in your other thread with the same question.

People do it successfully. Even the water you buy at Petco is natural seawater that they have packaged. But to do so, you have to try to avoid polution, parasites, so on. To do so, people collect their water at high tide. Once they do this, they run the water through UV sterilizers for about a week before using it for water changes.

In my opinion, it is more work to get natural seawater going than it is to mix together some RO/DI and salt mix of my choice. That and then you can get increased calcium and such for a tank heavily stocked in corals.

Beware! Saltwater in the ocean may be full of toxins and who knows what. Even if you get it from the reef it is still not safe. The sw you buy in petco has been processed and free from all the hazard to be used for aquarium. However, you can use it if you have the patience to treat the sw before putting it in your tank. You put in a container with cover so it will be dark and free from any light for several weeks until all the unwanted stuff are dead which will lay at the bottom. You can then test the parameters. Discard a portion of that water at the bottom. They are nasty.

It seems like we think the ocean is the same everywhere. You know we're you live what runs off into the water how the currents run and when the waters clean besides high tide. We're I live we lfs and fellow reefers collect the water from the same areas inshore at high tide. Gulf stream comes within a 1/2 mile. Water is sold from fifty cents to a dollar a gallon. All this to say yes there is a risk but a lot lower in different areas and to me mixed or natural I will use natural were I live. Just don't collect when you know something's up.

I'm on Canada's pacific coast and I often use ocean water. Collected at high tide or when I'm out on my boat. But the salinity here is much lower (nothing to do with rivers, it because of the arctic current) so I have to add a bit if salt to raise it from about 1.023 to 1.025.

Yea I used to live in Florida and I moved to Puerto Rico and the water over here its clearer than in Florida and that's why I started this cuz some people say yes for natural sw and some say no I was planing to get nsw put in a plastic drum with a uvsterilzer and a cartridge filter and leave it run for a week what do u guys think

Back
Top Bottom