saltwater ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
how do you get the saltwater mix some special salt into your well water or do i have to buy the water by the gallon???

i dont know that i would use well water? you can pick up salt from the lfs there is a few different types and you just mix it with your water. you might want to buy some r/o water from the lfs store. sometimes well water can cause problems even after adding your tap water conditioner to the water. but its your choice you could test the water afterwards and see what the paramaters are to make sure the well water is ok for your tank.

I have well water and have had no problems so far. I am mixing up thirty gallons of water at a time, so buying water by the gallon wouldn't work for me.

what is the ro water i hear that term alot but its got me confused and how much abouts is that ro water by the gallon from the lfs?

reverse osmosis, its a machine that filters the water till all thats left is clean clear water, basicly it takes out 99.9% or so i think of chlorine,chloramine etc, and its much cheaper to buy salt and mix it with water at home

I live in FL. and have well water! I wouldn't even drink that stuff myself ... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... so I definitely wouldn't put it in an aquarium! I don't know how the well water is in Illinois, but here in FL the well water is very hard and full of traces of limestone.

When I first got my dog, I tried giving the water to her and she looked at me like :evil: how dare you! HaHa ... now she gets strictly Zephyrhills Bottled water, what a queen :roll: !!!!

i would just take the water to your lfs if you have one you can trust and let them test it and give you advice on using it. everyones well water will be different. like jermz79 said there can be elements that will cause you problems possibly. however if you filter you tap water with several good filter that remove this before it reachs your tap then i would not see any problems. just use caution you dont want to buy expensive livestock and have you tank crash becuase of elements eventually build up in your tank and cause problems. so it basically depends on what you want to try and use and see what happens.

ok i went to the lfs today and he charges 50 cents a gallon for ro water is that a descent price? what do you guys pay?

I just bought a unit so that I woudln't have to keep lugging water back and forth from the store. It would pay for itself after the first 200 gal or so. With monthly water changes... it was an easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom