Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

saltwater ???

how do you get the saltwater mix some special salt into your well water or do i have to buy the water by the gallon???

Old 05-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think most people buy the salt and mix it. But, you can also buy it premixed.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

so wait your saying buy the salt and mix it into your homes well water???
Old 05-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i dont know that i would use well water? you can pick up salt from the lfs there is a few different types and you just mix it with your water. you might want to buy some r/o water from the lfs store. sometimes well water can cause problems even after adding your tap water conditioner to the water. but its your choice you could test the water afterwards and see what the paramaters are to make sure the well water is ok for your tank.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have well water and have had no problems so far. I am mixing up thirty gallons of water at a time, so buying water by the gallon wouldn't work for me.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

what is the ro water i hear that term alot but its got me confused and how much abouts is that ro water by the gallon from the lfs?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
reverse osmosis, its a machine that filters the water till all thats left is clean clear water, basicly it takes out 99.9% or so i think of chlorine,chloramine etc, and its much cheaper to buy salt and mix it with water at home
Old 05-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I live in FL. and have well water! I wouldn't even drink that stuff myself ... ... so I definitely wouldn't put it in an aquarium! I don't know how the well water is in Illinois, but here in FL the well water is very hard and full of traces of limestone.

When I first got my dog, I tried giving the water to her and she looked at me like how dare you! HaHa ... now she gets strictly Zephyrhills Bottled water, what a queen !!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would just take the water to your lfs if you have one you can trust and let them test it and give you advice on using it. everyones well water will be different. like jermz79 said there can be elements that will cause you problems possibly. however if you filter you tap water with several good filter that remove this before it reachs your tap then i would not see any problems. just use caution you dont want to buy expensive livestock and have you tank crash becuase of elements eventually build up in your tank and cause problems. so it basically depends on what you want to try and use and see what happens.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok i went to the lfs today and he charges 50 cents a gallon for ro water is that a descent price? what do you guys pay?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com