saltwater baby octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_920

Aquarium Advice Newbie
does anyone have a baby brown octopis they could give me some information bc im getting one this weekend

I hope you're extremely experienced, or I strongly advise against it.

Octos are not to be taken lightly by anyone, not only do they need very large tanks in most cases, but you'll have to really work on octo-proofing the tank. They aren't one of the smartest animals on the planet for nothing.

Do you even know the species of the octo or anything about it? Or even if it's actually a baby octo?

I hope you're extremely experienced, or I strongly advise against it.

Octos are not to be taken lightly by anyone, not only do they need very large tanks in most cases, but you'll have to really work on octo-proofing the tank. They aren't one of the smartest animals on the planet for nothing.

Do you even know the species of the octo or anything about it? Or even if it's actually a baby octo?

:D Glad you answered this. I saw it earlier but it almost seemed like a test to me or almost a gag post. IDream is right Em. If you are serious, you need to read up. Cephalopod's are not easy to care for. Even for the most experienced. They also do not live long in captivity. Do yourself a favor and be 150% sure of what you are doing.

Regardless of perfect conditions in captivity you'll be lucky to see one live to a year old, octos only have a life span of about 6-12 months, maybe a bit longer in the wild.

You sound like you haven't done much research and this hobby definitely requires it, especially with the likes of an octopus

Regardless of perfect conditions in captivity you'll be lucky to see one live to a year old, octos only have a life span of about 6-12 months, maybe a bit longer in the wild.

You sound like you haven't done much research and this hobby definitely requires it, especially with the likes of an octopus

With his/her luck, they would get a blue ringed one without knowing. :eek:

Years ago one our sportfishing boats gave me a little octopus for my tank .., Houdini had nothing on this escape artist.. At the time I thought I had the tank " completely" sealed. But low and behold., one nite while enjoying a beverage and watching tv something caught my eye crawling across the carpet., It was the octopus.. This scenario happened a few times., I could not figure out for the life of me how and where he was getting out., then one day I saw him squeezing thru a tiny ( .. And I mean tiny ) little opening by a hose that was about one tenth his size., amazing., like a mouse with no shoulders, they can and will squeeze thru anything!!!!
Long story short., I found him one day dried up behind the tank... although neat to look at ., they're a handful!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom