saltwater change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi, any thoughts on how to match the fresh saltwater i make to my main tank? the main has 8.2ph in morning 8.4 at night when lights go out. 10kh,460cal, 0 nitrates. i am running a calcium reator. the water i make is8.2ph, kh12, cal380. i was told not to add cal to the fresh saltwater,because it would throw off the main tank. thanks walt :D

I'm not too sure what you are asking but you really only need to match the salinity and temp of the new SW you are using for water changes. Most salt mixes are going to have lower CA than your main tank but you should not be doing such large water changes that this would make a difference.

thanks, i thought so, temp and salinity i always make sure of. dr. foster smith magizine said to match ph,kh,cal,temp,salinity when doing a water change. :)

IMO, add some ca to bring up the ca a bit in the fresh SW. Adding ca should also lower the alk some. As far as ph goes make sure the "new" SW is well airated. A slight difference is ok if your doing a 10-25% water change.

Back
Top Bottom