Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Saltwater change question

I am a bit confused, I bought my 50 gal tank and the store that I bought it from sold me "saltwater" which I did not have to add any salt. Now that I want to do a water change, I have seen that almost evey article I read they buy the "RO/DI" and add the salt, should i buy the saltwater or should I buy the water and buy the salt and mix it together? Please help, thanks!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Either way is fine. Test the saltwater and ensure the parameters are correct.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Perfect, thanks. So do you think I have to purchase that bacteria bottle every time i do a water change?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

bacteria bottle? what are you adding or testing?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #5

I believe its a bottle of bacteria which they said was to speed up the cycle. Then when I asked about water changes they mentioned that I would need one every time I changed the water but I have been reading and reaserching and some people say its not safe. Would I be safe just testing my parameters without that bottle?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes.... Never put anything in your tank you can't test for. What I mean by testing the saltwater is for pH and salinity. If you mix your own, you can control the salinity.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

All depends on what kinda of tank you have... Reef, Fish only, or Fish only with LR.

Unless you have a reef tank you could get by with just tap water and some type of salt mix of ur choice. It's nice to use RO or RODI water but it's not needed. Do your self and bank account a favor if it's not needed. Maybe take a water sample to a reputable SW store and have the test your tap for nitrates and phosphates.

And for this bacteria bottle lol, got to love fish stores... Lol. Drop it! Go for a natural cycle, it may be long but it's worth it. This hobby requires patience. Anything less brake your bank account.

Hope this helps
Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You'll want to learn to mix your own saltwater. Buy an inexpensive refractometer to measure salinity accurately. Will also need a ph tester of some kind. These instruments will pay for themselves by saving hundreds of dollars in live stock. A RO/DI filter is inexpensive, a nice addition to the household and easy to use as well.

The bacteria is not needed after seeding the tank the first time, in fact if you used cultured live rock, the bacteria was not necessary.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

I will make sure I test the water before I add it into my tank thanks Kio707.....
I actually have fish and LR at the moment but thinking of getting some corals later on down the road. Yeah I will not buy that bottle which is $35.00 a pop, maybe that is why they keep mentioning it lol. Thanks for all the help, very helpful tips.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a RO/DI portable system on craigslist for 69.

Tags
change, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com