Saltwater changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnb62679

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I am about to do a water change, do I need to test the water I am adding to the tank first or do I add the water and then test the my tank? I let my new water sit next to my tank since yesterday, anything special I need to do?

Definitely check your specific gravity. You don't want to turn the tank brackish or into the Dead Sea either. Checking pH is also a good idea in case there's a big swing.

Are you using RODI water? If not, you should to avoid algae problems. It's a good idea every now and again to double check the nitrates and phosphates of the new water to make sure it's clean going in. I'm sure a few folks on the boards can tell you about their RODI filters wearing out and not realizing it until they were seeing problems in the tank.

My PH on my new water is at 8.8 a little high how do I bring it down or is it ok to add the water in that way?

Make sure your SG is correct and that your temp of the water matches.Your PH will be higher in the replacement water because of new water having a better mix of calcium and alk.

As above, ensure your temp and salinity are the same, then add away.

Assuming that the source is reliable, of course.

I have done it that way and have had no issues. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom