Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Saltwater food to be fed on freshwater fish ?

i'm wondering can saltwater food (frozen shrimp,which i normally feed my ocellaris clown) be fed on my freshwater fishes such as neon tetras and rummy nose ?

will there be any nutrients fact on those freshwater livestock or it's just a waste ?

thanks

Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

cant you just buy some freshwater frozen fish food, its not exactly expencive!

Old 05-03-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yep you can, assuming they're meat eaters... I am not too sure about those species you list.

Brine Shrimp are commonly used for FW, because of their high nutritional value in their napuli stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMist
cant you just buy some freshwater frozen fish food, its not exactly expencive!
Yeah thats true too, but if you have SW feed around, I guess (especially if you dont need it) it works just fine.

-Max
Old 05-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I suppose, ..... in my opinion hardly any fish are really picky eaters and most fishfood is near enough the same stuff anyway, just prepared in different ways,- at the moment i'm feeding my marine fish on my tropical fish's flakes because i haven't had the chance to get to a lfs yet ... and there still alive, so what harm can it do !?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

no, bcos one ocellaris cant possible finish off one cube of frozen shrimp (i'm not sure whether it's brine shrimp or not .. light brown in color) , so i give the rest to my freshwater tank .. and of course i have FW flakes food for them as well... i'm just giving them more food varieties ...

my main concern is whether they are nutritious to my FW .. cos LFS told me before.. fresh blood worms (usually feed on FW) doesnt nutritious enough for marine fish.. is that true ?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

it probably is brine shrimp, but more likely to be adult brine shrimp (ie lower nutritional value compared to napuli)

Quote:
I suppose, ..... in my opinion hardly any fish are really picky eaters and most fishfood is near enough the same stuff anyway, just prepared in different ways,- at the moment i'm feeding my marine fish on my tropical fish's flakes because i haven't had the chance to get to a lfs yet ... and there still alive, so what harm can it do !?
I do the same thing, I feed tropical flakes at the time, as a matter of fact all my fish like them. Once I get better fish (other than the damsels I have now) I will likely start making my own frozen food.

Tags
food, freshwater, freshwater fish, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com