Saltwater Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I was browsing the internet, I came across this game on another forum, I thought it looked like fun, so I brought it to you ;) Here are the rules (copied and pasted), I'll go ahead and start it out, but I have to work today, so don't expect me to give any more clues till after 3:30 pm EST.

The last "winner" posts a clue/question about an fish/coral/invert they have decided on. It can be anything saltwater based. The clues can be simple or complex as the question poster determines is proper.

The question poster then comes back to check periodically to see if anyone made any guesses, and leaves a post telling them if it is right or wrong answer. If a long time goes by and nobody gets the answer, the question poster may want to give another clue. The guessers will start begging for more clues, after awhile, if it is hard.

If you are a "guesser", the rule is one guess at a time. If the question poster says you got it wrong, then you can guess again.

If two people give the same correct answer, the winner is determined by the time on the posts; the earliest one wins.

The guessers should also check frequently to see if they are the winner, so they can post the next question.

The person answering the latest question correctly gets to post a new question. And the Game goes on.

If you guess at a question, you should be aware that you may get it right, and that means you have to come back and post a new question/clues and moniter it until somebody gets it right. Then, after somebody guesses your question, you can play at guessing the next question, again, or not, as you choose. You can enter guessing at anytime, but only the last "winner" gets to post a question. There have only been a couple of times that the question poster had to give the answer and try another question becaue it went so long nobody could get it. Usually, if you post some additional clues, that will be enough for somebody to figure it out.

Clues can be anything that point to the fish/coral/invert you chose, like a description, where it is found, salnity preference, history, etc, or uses of the fish/coral/invert. The fish/coral/invert can be anything from a whale and can be a weed, even, if you like. It is fun if you found a picture or article about the fish/coral/invert to post a link when someone guesses it, but it is not required.

I'm going to make this a sticky, if after a week or so the game isn't very popular, I'll remove the sticky and let it drop off the page, but it looks pretty fun and informative to me.

Class: Anthozoa
Subclass: Hexacorallia
Order: Scleractinia
Family Caryophylliidae

There are three species associated with the genus and specimins have been found in the wild in excess of 3ft.

Gorgonians or maybe some form of aiptasia?

(i am gonna be leaving for the lake real soon, and if that is right I wont be able to post a new question, so I will do it now.....)

phylum: Coelenterata
class: Anthozoa
subclass: Hexacorallia
order: Scleractinia
family: Caryophylliidae

There are 25 groups within the family Caryophylliidae:

Anomocora, Asterosmilia, Aulocyathus, Caryophyllia, Ceratotrochus, Cladocora, Coenocyathus, Coenosmilia, Concentrotheca, Dasmosmilia, Deltocyathus, Desmophyllum, Hoplangia, Lophelia, Paracyathus, Phyllangia, Polycyathus, Pourtalosmilia, Premocyathus, Solenosmilia, Stephanocyathus, Tethocyathus, Thalamophyllia, Trochocyathus, Vaughanella.

My Guess is going to be Sea Fans. The strange thing is, that this deals with corals, anemones, and gorgonians. All of which are in the same family..

Oops, that's what I get not checking the latest taxonamy prior toposting :oops:

Hmmm, rather than try to go with something from that Family everything from the previous clue is correct except...

phylum: Coelenterata
class: Anthozoa
subclass: Hexacorallia
order: Scleractinia
family: Euphyllidae

To add to the hint a bit...
They come from a wide variety of environments, e.g., muddy and sandy bottom areas and attached to vertical walls.

Plenty of views....but nobody is making any guesses.

Next hint...
Their calcium carbonate skeleton usually forms a fattened oval or rounded shape.
develops a somewhat flattened, yet continuous and unbranched wall of fused vertical plates (septa) with top area covered by the fleshy part of the animal.

sounds like the bubble coral your clown fish is playing in.lol;)

ok hope this is not 2 easy 4 all you salty pros out there:
Aggressive if allowed to touch other corals
one of the hardiest of corals
retractable polyps

how about this:

fast growing

cleans itself by shedding a layer of surface tissue

Moderate current

Back
Top Bottom