Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

1. I got a kit and tested NH3/NH4+. It as only 0.25, so not a problem.
2. I removed the dieing seaweed. It was slimy.
3. I changed the light to a 17W light. Not what folks recommended, but a 30% increase anyway.
4. I intend to plug the heaters back in before the nights get too cool. I had an issue with a Stealth heater where it almost burst from heat when I did a water change because the automatic shut off didn't work right, so I'm a little shy about that right now.
5. I can see beach sand and water being a problem on a dirty beach. But I don't think so where I was right out on the Atlantic coast. It sure seemed pristine when I got it.

Questions: This summer, I've had heat issues with my FW tanks and a lot of watts contributes. With 130+ watts on a 20 gallon how do you keep the heat down? Are you using a chiller? What's a macro? I'm using an Emperor 280 for the filter. Any recommendations on the adequacy of that?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I don't have any problems with heat with 130watts. The tank is completely open top and the temp stays around 80 degrees. There is also a ceiling fan in the room that I turn on when it's hot, so that does a lot, especially when it's 115 outside with the heat index.

Macroalgae are algaes like caulerpa, chaeto, etc.

I also have a Emperor 280 on my 20 gallon... with two Aquaclear 20's (one on each side of the tank) and a Rena XP1 cannister filter. The flow on the Emperor alone isn't really enough IMO.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
even though they may look like weeds..seagrasses are a fairly delicate plant. Most require careful planting of individual plantlets. A nice hole dug, deep sand substrate, alot of lighting and moderate current. To be honest, it doesnt look like you are providing for ANY of the plants needs.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is a new picture with 17 Watts on it. I can only do so much with what I have on hand. Maybe I'll purchase a lighting and/or filtration upgrade.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
This article by Anthony Calfo may help you where to go next with this.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I got a kit and tested NH3/NH4+. It as only 0.25, so not a problem.
Remember that NH3 at ANY level is toxic to livestock. 0.25 is a problem. The only acceptable level is zero.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about doing a water change to get rid of it?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What about doing a water change to get rid of it?
that is a good method to get levels down, but in the uncycled tank they will accumulate very quickly again. A series of water changes will be needed to keep levels at appropriate levels. This will help but will also significantly increase your cycle time.

My suggestion...decided if you would like to keep a SW tank long-term. if so, research and start over from scratch and do things the right way. I promise you will save yourself a lot ot time, trouble, money and heart ache.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Make sure you topoff the water from your last picture it looks like at least an inch of water has evaporated. Topoff with fresh water dont use sw to topoff, it will just increase the salinity.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
This article by Anthony Calfo may help you where to go next with this.
That was helpful. Thanks!

I did an 11 gal water change, took out as much detritis as I could, changed the filter pad again (50 micron), added Diamond Blend media to the filter cartridge to remove remaining ammonia. This was a mistake since the label says "fresh water only". How serious is that? What are you supposed to use instead? Btw, can SW filters be used later for FW if I choose or is there some design thing that makes them good for SW only?

Here are some pics of how it looks now. I added a Fiji Blue Devil. Another mistake. Found out later that it's aggressive and not a good tank mate for other fish. Ok for now since it's the only fish. He's kind of reclusive, but is getting used to the tank and comes out now. He attaks his food like he's a lion or something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0980__medium__998.jpg (26.4 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg img_0976__medium__102.jpg (67.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg img_0957__medium__173.jpg (57.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg img_0948__medium__163.jpg (42.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg img_0946__medium__558.jpg (33.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg img_0935__medium__822.jpg (60.8 KB, 17 views)

Tags
plant, plants, salt, saltwater, water plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com