Saltwater Tank Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a fairly new freshwater tank owner and someday (maybe soon) I hope to start a saltwater tank. I know it takes a lot more work, maintenance and money to do so. I just wanted to get an opinion of how much more difficult it is to start and maintain a saltwater tank well. How long did it take for you to get started? How much was the initial cost and what did that include? What's the maintainance like (testing/feeding/water changes)? How much would I have to spend after the initial setup? What kinds of fish do most people start with? I would want to get invertebrates, are they difficult to keep? What's the smallest recommended size of a tank? And what is your favorite part of owning a saltwater aquarium? Also fill me in on things I should know that I may have missed! Thanks everyone! :roll:

Hello Yao,

The initial investment on a SW tank is more expensive than freshwater. Cost will vary depending on the setup. The best thing to do for now is pick up "The Conscientious Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. This is an excellent book that touches on everything from equipment to livestock.
I would go no smaller than a 30 gal tank. Recommended would be a 55 gal or larger. It is easier in this hobby to maintain stability in a larger tank as it is more forgiving.
A SW aquarium for me is relaxing. I actually enjoy the the maintenance. I have owned SW tanks for years, but I would have to say my favorite part is setting it all up.

Mike

If you go full retail, I'd say $30/gal is not out of line - don't do that. Do what Salttanker said and then you can take advantage of alllll those people who didn't do what Salttanker said.

What they did was see a beautiful setup somewhere and go straight to the lfs to get all their "expert" advice. Then, after spending about $30/gal for their setup, they failed, got frustrated and.....(here's where you come in) sold their entire setup for less than 1/2 what they paid.

You can pick up a full tank setup with everything you need for 1/3 to 1/2 the retail cost and, with a good baseline of research and education, be successful and TOTALLY HOOKED!! :D :D

Bye good quality stuff, used. Enjoy and good luck :!: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom