saltwater tanks and potted plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_artman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone, ive been reading the forums for a while now (ive learned so much already, great stuff!) and i have a question before i start setting up my tank. we have a lot of potted plants and flowers and such in the living room, and someone has told me that they will not fare well with a saltwater tank in the room. we are worred about the cactus specifically. reading the forums for a few weeks now, i see that some people say that adding freshwater and not mixing in new salt is the way to do top offs so as to not throw the salt content up. to me this would mean that salt remains behind in the water(this makes perfect sense to me and im aware of this) however the words of warning have stuck in my head and id like to hear from you all about the subject. basically, are my plants going to suffer by being in the same room? thanks!

No your plants shouldnt suffer because like you said salt doesnt evaporate from the tank so your plants will not come in contact from any salt from evaporation.

I have never heard that you cant keep plants in the same room as a SW tank. I dont know if their are basing their concepts on higher humidity, or if the extra lighting from the reefwould affect the plants some how or what.

As for topoffs to replaced evaporation then yes you top off with freshwater always. The only time you add saltwater to the tank is if you physically remove water from the system. And you dont want to ever add salt directly to the system but instead you want to premix the water and salt before adding it.

thanks for the quick answers guys! eased my worry for sure. i dont know why my friend said that. ive been trying to figure it out myself, i have to ask next time i see him.
and yeah im fully aware of not tossing the salt in directly. very good advice and one which i learned be reading these forums. now back reading more threads :)

Back
Top Bottom