saltwater vodka dosage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im looking for info on vodka dossing my 75 gallon salt tank I have a couple of clown fish and what does vodka do to the tank I have looked all over forums but can't come up with anything good thanks for the info. Will

Welcome to AA :) vodka dosing is an effective way to remove nitrates but you MUST be exact with dosing so it isn't reccomended if your just starting out. There are many people on here that'll be able to give you more details on the subject though

With only a couple clowns no reason you should need to vodka dose. Water changes are still required.

I just bought all this stuff in this tank fixing to be moving it in

ForumRunner_20120805_052108.jpg

Vinegar. It's less likely to be used by Cyanobacteria as a food source than biopellets or vodka. The principles are the same with vinegar, start small & increase slowly. The doses are roughly 8x that of Vodka if using grocery store white vinegar (5%).

MikeYQM said:
Vinegar. It's less likely to be used by Cyanobacteria as a food source than biopellets or vodka. The principles are the same with vinegar, start small & increase slowly. The doses are roughly 8x that of Vodka if using grocery store white vinegar (5%).

Vinegar is a carbon source cyano does not distinguish a difference. Not sure why you believe its less likely to be used by cyano, but yes principles are same as vodka.

crister13 said:
I've actually heard the same a YQM. Not sure why, I've heard that too though.

I dont doubt its a rumor buy i highly doubt it as fact. Carbon fuels bacteria growth, vinegar is no different than vodka when it comes to a carbon source.

The point of a carbon source is to fuel nitrifying bacterial growth for denitrification. This is not limited to cyano which is a bacteria and cyano does not discriminate between a vodka carbon source or a vinegar carbon source. Both are still fueling bacterial growth.

I believe this is just one of those rumors that goes around based on a small percentage of experiences and not many facts.

cyano does not discriminate between a vodka carbon source or a vinegar carbon source.

Do you have some sort of reference to confirm this statement? A concept as simple as the Lac Operon which is taught in most high school biology curricular seems to disagree - bacteria can in fact enzymatically and allosterically differentiate between carbon sources. Assuming the above seems like a poor idea, unless of course you have some literature which shows it is true :)

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Scientific research has found that cyanobacterial growth does not increase when dosing vinegar (acetate), where it was found that ethanol dosing will increase cyanobacterial growth. Cyanobacteria produce PHA to store energy when needed. PHA is an ingredient in some biopellets. So cyanobacteria can utilize some if not all of the biopellets. Hobbyists who have dosed vinegar have reported less cyanobacterial problems compared to dosing biopellets & ethanol. This was my experience as well.

Not all carbon is created equal my friend. The false rumor is that they are all the same.

The coauthor Randy Holmes-Farley is pretty much THE expert in reef chemistry.

MikeYQM said:
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Hobbyists who have dosed vinegar have reported less cyanobacterial problems compared to dosing biopellets & ethanol. This was my experience as well.

My statement is correct. To say vinegar has nothing to do with cyano growth is incorrect. Its has an advantage over vodka for example in that vinegar increases anaerobic break-down of nutrients with the sand bed and live rock. If enough of these biofilms are present then they out compete cyano in many cases. Cyano is still a factor with vinegar although usually less of a problem because of this fact in many tanks.

I think your misinterpreting slightly. Cyano does not differentiate. Vinegar can out compete cyano through growth of anaerobic bacterial films. These films quickly break down organics and out compete cyano in sufficient numbers. Almost how an algae scrubber for instance out competes algae in the display for nutrients.

You can still have cyano issues with vinegar, ive seen it happen. Mr. Holmes-Farley even states hobbyists report LESS cyano problems compared to biopellets or vodka however the problem is not non existent.

My statement is correct. To say vinegar has nothing to do with cyano growth is incorrect.

Perhaps I have misread but I do not believe anyone has said this is the case?

Do you have some sort of literature which shows that cyanobacteria does not differentiate between the carbon-containing molecules found in vinegar and ethanol? I would be interested to read about the processing of these metabolites in a controlled environment.

MrPillow said:

Do you have some sort of literature which shows that cyanobacteria does not differentiate between the carbon-containing molecules found in vinegar and ethanol? I would be interested to read about the processing of these metabolites in a controlled environment.

No literature on the specific subject on differences. However if we use what we know we can make educated guesses

Schism said:
No literature on the specific subject on differences. However if we use what we know we can make educated guesses

I will be looking for some sources. Im compelled to research the subject not so i will let you know of sources i come across besides the one listed.

I havnt seen anything else by holmes-farley going a bit more in depth.

MrPillow said:

On the flip side i would also like to know if you find such sources. The article listed while co-written by a very respectable and knowledgable person contains only experience and opinion on the subject of vinegar and cyano, no real facts presented by means of science and reasoning. The references in the article are also shaky or void on this smaller subject pertaining to vinegar and cyano and whats taking place.

Back
Top Bottom