Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Same time each day

Help me think through something. Every day I happen to see something weird happen. For the first couple hours of the day everything typical looks good. The zoas are all open and everything is expanding. Then about 2-3 hours after all the lights are on I notice that everything at once tends to close up. The frogspawn and hammer don't react but the zoas and the mushrooms tend to close up or shrink. I honestly have no guess. They stay shut or mostly shut for about an hour and then gradually open up.

My parameters are all where they should be. I honestly have no idea what it might be. I'm assuming this is affecting growth over the long term. Any ideas?

Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

well my first shot of a guess is your lighting could be too strong. the zoas and mushrooms need much less light than the others, what kind of lights do you have, on what size tank? it could also be too much flow, what and how many powerheads? how long have you had each coral? what is their placement?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That would seem to make sense but my lights are not that strong and were doing great for the zoas and shrooms for quite some time. Shrooms are on the bottom and zoas are on the bottom 1/3 of the tank. I have two light. The marineland reef capable led and an innovative marine Skkye strip.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

And the flow hasn't changed either. I have about 25x turnover in the tank
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Could be a ph swing caused by the photosynthesis period starting up again. This is why people run their sump lights oposite to their main lights. I can't remember exactly what happens (Its something like algae releases carbon dioxide during lighting periods) and when this happens some softies like zoa's react.

Just a shot in the dark...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the ph swing.

Algae releases oxygen during photosynthesis while lights are. The additional oxygen drives co2 out causing ph to rise.

When lights go out algae is no longer producing oxygen during photosynthesis causing co2 levels to rise and ph to drop.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I'm using a HOB filter how do you avoid the ph swing? Should I have my actinics on for longer before the white lights come on? As it is, I have the actinics on for 12 hours and 10 for the white. I could have the actinics on for 2 hours before the whites instead?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Test your ph in the morning before lights go on or as close to that time as possible. Then test ph just before lights go out. How big is the difference?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will test the ph later tonight but I did a test just now.

I tested the ph just after the lights went on and it was 8.0. I tested it now as I see the zoanthids are all closed up and the mushrooms are smaller and the ph is still 8.0. I'll check it tonight.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is no detectable ph change and your zoas have already closed up I would try putting them lower in the tank. It is probably lighting as suggested earlier.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com