Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is there an alternative to buying sand from a LFS. I want to set up a dsb, but don't like the $$

55 gal
90+ lbs LR
70 lbs LS ( Aragonite Reef Sand Indo-Pacific Black)
Remora skimmer
Yellow Tang
Fire goby
pair of Percula clowns
20 RedLegg Hermit Crab
20 Blue Legged Hermit Crab
10 Zebra Hermit Crab
15 Trochus Snails
15 Narcissus Snails

Art G.
ajg1460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Similarly, I've had a lot of people suggest that I get rid of my crushed coral substrate, and get sand instead. I have 210 lbs of Tube Sand (for your car) in my basement. Can I use this sand, or would this be bad for my tank? Link to posts recommending ditching CC

mobyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
i have been going through this also. What you want is southdown/oldcastle sand from Home Depot, it is seasonal and some say has been discontinued. These sands are tropical sands and do not contain silica. However, i have decided to go with the caribsea sand for now since i cant wait, i will only buy two bags (30lb each) and hopefully in the near future Home Depot will get their shippment in. Below is a link to an interesting article on silica sand (some say it is safe but less beneficial). I would probably not use the tube sand, if i were to go with a silica sand i would go with white play sand, found at some home depots, i beleive it is made by a company in Vermont. I would say for you ajg1460, to check all of the Home Depots in your area, and talk to the Garden Dept., to the guy that actually orders the sand and ask him when the Oldcastle, southdown, or yardright tropical sand might come in. Also check the sticky thread in saltwater and reef general discussion, their is a thread called "its playsand season......" its like the third or fourth thread down, people list here when they find some. Good Luck!

50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com