sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmkx3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got back from Fla and i brought home some sand. I want to add it to my tank. What do you think? Should I do anything to it other than rinse it really well? How do ypu purify sand? boil it lol :lol:

Well, you could boil it. Most of the time I just use bleach and rinse very, very well. If you have access to sts (sodium thiosulfate) then that cuts time in half to rid bleach.

Personally, I wouldn't bleach anything that's going to go into a tank. That might just be me though.

Usually, I stick with thorough rinsing. I don't seem to have many problems from that.

I'd get a copper test as well, let it sit in some SW and test....just in case....

There could be who knows what in sand you get from a public beach, which is why a lot of people don't like to use it. But if you must use it, I'd definitley follow the recccomendations already said. :)

Nothing wrong with bleaching as James said. Just make sure you soak it in some water with dechlorinator in it before adding it. I personally would not use sand from a public beach but that is me.

Back
Top Bottom