sand & crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i like fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok, so i wanna make a DSB and i have a bunch of curshed coral in my tank already, cuz of course i didnt do enough research before i jumped into this, so my tank is already cycled with nothing but a hermit crab that ill be returning to the pet store tommorow, and i wanted to know if i could take out like 10-15 pounds of crushed coral, and leave like some on the bottom and buy a bag of white play sand from home depot or soemthing and put that over it, or would that not work as efficiently, im thinking if i get some live sand some non live sand and what i have for cc, it will be all live eventually, but i didnt know if the cc will throw off the DSB effect

Yeah you dont want to leave any CC in the bottom. I have heard of that causing problems down the road. Just take out about half the CC and whats left push to one side then buy some LIVE sand and pour in on the other side. And then wait a week and pull out the rest of the CC and put in the rest of your sand!! The CC is bad about causing high nitrates . Im dealing with that prob. right now :wink:

ok but will play sand and live sand mix and create a solid live sand bed, or would it not work, or not as well, im guessing play sand is a lot cheaper, and if i did some live sand and some play it will be less expensive and jsut as good

Back
Top Bottom