Sand and rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am setting up a 30 gal XH tank next week. How much sand should I buy? I was looking for Tropical Play Sand but can't find any. I will probably buy sand from LFS. I would think I should have a dsb. Even though the tank is 30 gal the bottom is the same size as a 20 gal.
Now for my rock question. I was planning on buying a 30 lb box from hirocks for base rock and then buying 15 lbs of LR. Since the tank is very high, I will probably have to stack the rock very high. Should I use super glue or some kind of aquarium safe sealant to glue some rocks together. I don't want a snail to shift the sand and cause rocks to fall. I don't want to have rocks leaning against side of tank. I want to have enough LR in tank but I want it to look good too.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jim

Add some base rock to the bottom of the tank before adding your sand. This way if the sand shifts, you still have a stable base. You could silicone the rocks together. As for how much sand, there is a button at the top of the page labeled calculators. That will help you find out how much sand you'll need. Here is the sand calc. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs2.php?type=sanddepth

Thanks for the link, but the calculator didn't work. If you can get it to work then my tank is 24 long 12 depth and I figure 3 in sand bed. I read new marine aquarium and conscientious marine aquarist. The first one said put rock first then sand and the second said sand first. I plan on putting rock first. It made sense to me. I guess I was just concerned about how high the rock will be. Thanks for the quick response. I have been asking alot of questions, but I just want to do this slowly and get it right the first time. Thanks!
Jim

30G XH, does that stand for extra high? Not trying to discourage you, but just let you know that high tanks have limited gas exchange at the surface because of the geometry of the tank. The taller you go, means that the other two dimensions suffer and you end up with the least surface area for gas exchange. you mentioned it had the same footprint as the 20G which means same amount or surface area, and 10 more gallons of water. Just something to consider.

Cheers,
Ryan

30G XH, does that stand for extra high? Not trying to discourage you, but just let you know that high tanks have limited gas exchange at the surface because of the geometry of the tank. The taller you go, means that the other two dimensions suffer and you end up with the least surface area for gas exchange. you mentioned it had the same footprint as the 20G which means same amount or surface area, and 10 more gallons of water. Just something to consider.

Cheers,
Ryan

I know. I am limited on space. I will have a glass top on the tank which doesn't help either. I plan on keeping the glass top off as much as possible to help with gas exchange. Thanks for the help!

it will be a good idea to ensure a lot of surface agitation with powerheads and such, that will maximize the exchange.

Back
Top Bottom