Sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently using aragonite sand in my tank. I'm upgrading my tank but I want something that is okay for my sand sifting star, nassarius, and scooter blenny who buries himself at night. What sized granules would be too big? I like the argonite it just clouds my tank when I move rock work and my clown likes to remodel her areas which dirties all of the rock around. Did I not rinse it enough initially??

Ajm said:
I'm currently using aragonite sand in my tank. I'm upgrading my tank but I want something that is okay for my sand sifting star, nassarius, and scooter blenny who buries himself at night. What sized granules would be too big? I like the argonite it just clouds my tank when I move rock work and my clown likes to remodel her areas which dirties all of the rock around. Did I not rinse it enough initially??

You not only need to give it time to clear up, but also have to realize that the dust will eventually be completely eradicated. It's just one of those "mature" tank features we enjoy after a year +.

I am not saying you shouldn't Rinse it. But if you have a good enough flow in the tank, it's shouldn't be a problem. Any fine sand that is bot crushed coral will be ideal. I use aragonite in all my tanks. Hope this helps

Did you happen to use Carib sea aragonite sand? I find this brand sub par compared to natures ocean. Once the natures ocean settles it never clouded either of my tanks. I used the Carib sea once and broke the tank down because it was so bad. I have gobies and star and Nass snails in both tanks.

Readingexcalibur said:
You not only need to give it time to clear up, but also have to realize that the dust will eventually be completely eradicated. It's just one of those "mature" tank features we enjoy after a year +.

I am not saying you shouldn't Rinse it. But if you have a good enough flow in the tank, it's shouldn't be a problem. Any fine sand that is bot crushed coral will be ideal. I use aragonite in all my tanks. Hope this helps

I can see that. I probably need to rinse better initially. It's a lot better than from when I first set up the tank just weighing options thanks.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Did you happen to use Carib sea aragonite sand? I find this brand sub par compared to natures ocean. Once the natures ocean settles it never clouded either of my tanks. I used the Carib sea once and broke the tank down because it was so bad. I have gobies and star and Nass snails in both tanks.

I'm not sure of the brand I got it at petsmart though. Like I said earlier I probably need to rinse better. I was asking to see if aragonite is the best as far as granular size for my inverts. I'll have to track down that natures ocean brand. I love the look I just can't stand it clouding when I move rock work. Do you think that because of the size granules, not rinsing enough, or the quality of sand itself?

It's the aragonite itself. And a combination of not rinsing well enough. I rinsed mine in a kitchen strainer at a time and still had a small amount of cloudiness. But now about 9 months later there is minimal dust that appears when I move something or my goby decides to move sand. IMO aragonite works well.

EriksFish315 said:
It's the aragonite itself. And a combination of not rinsing well enough. I rinsed mine in a kitchen strainer at a time and still had a small amount of cloudiness. But now about 9 months later there is minimal dust that appears when I move something or my goby decides to move sand. IMO aragonite works well.

Okay just the advice I was looking for. Thank you.

Pets mart carries the Carib sea, I happen to buy mine their because I didnt wan to drive the 20 minutes for the good stuff. I think petco has the nature ocean. Compare the two, and you don't have to rinse live sand only dry sand. The natures ocean is packed In water. The Fiji pink is very nice. White with some pink flecks. They have a gold and a black color too, but the Fiji pink is most popular. I have a juvenile goby and sifts just fine.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Pets mart carries the Carib sea, I happen to buy mine their because I didnt wan to drive the 20 minutes for the good stuff. I think petco has the nature ocean. Compare the two, and you don't have to rinse live sand only dry sand. The natures ocean is packed In water. The Fiji pink is very nice. White with some pink flecks. They have a gold and a black color too, but the Fiji pink is most popular. I have a juvenile goby and sifts just fine.

Okay cool I have a petco not too far thanks

Back
Top Bottom