sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
anyone know how deep my sand bed should be?? saw on some books said a thin layer is better coz more O in the sand, what are the benefits of a deeper sand bed? TIA!

i have a 33g tank with 30lbs lr and 10 lbs of cc and 20 lbs of live sand, is it enough as a bio filtration??

"i have a 33g tank with 30lbs lr and 10 lbs of cc and 20 lbs of live sand, is it enough as a bio filtration??"

I would say you are ok to start with a small bioload like 2 clowns. You can add some more rock later down the road. What kind of rock do you have now and what if any fish?

i thought u only need 1lb of lr/G..... i have 1/2 bali and 1/2 tonga, i have 2 clown, 4 demsels and a seaurchin. im just too use to use chemical filtration, kinda worry using just sand and lr for filtration.......

Rock and sand are for biological filtration.. if you want chemical filtration you have to use GAC.

I may be wrong, but I thought DSB should be reserved for tanks on the size of 40 gallons and up. I don't remember the exact reason why. Something about it not being able to sustain enough denitrfying bacteria to keep nitrate to a minimum perhaps. I'll have to look around for a better answer.

so does that mean i can take away the charcoal or any other chemical filtration and just use the lr and dsb as my only filtration??

You could... but since you have the hob filter, I would use that as extra water movement and toss in charcoal when you need to polish the water.

Back
Top Bottom